India lost 19.39 million active mobile connections in November 2017, with Airtel, Idea, Reliance Jio and Vodafone accounting for 81% of total active mobile connections in India, according to data released by TRAI. The reason of this massive decline is that RCOM has lost its 29.98 million ( almost 65% ) active connections.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 1,006.3 million active connections in the month of November 2017.
– Strangely, Idea has 102.47% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 99.23%, followed by Vodafone at 94.87%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 287.3 million connections followed by Vodafone at 200.2 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For November 2017 (Total Connections):
– Reliance Jio added 6.1 million connections, taking its connection base to 152.1 million.
– Airtel added 4.3 million connections, taking its connection base to 289 million.
– Idea added 3 million connections, taking its connection base to 194 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 91.93% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Andhra Pradesh. Himachal Pradesh has just 77.8% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 100.5 million connections (100,506,921 connections). Maharashtra is second with 93.2 million connections (93,210,472 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 86.85 million connections (86,853,377 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 25%, followed by Vodafone at 18%, Idea at 17%, Reliance Jio at 13% and BSNL at 9%.
Top 4 telcos now have 81% of total active connections
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – added 14.29 million active connections in November 2017, accounting for 68% of active connections. Along with Jio, the top four now account for 81% of active connections.