wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

429.2M Internet connections in India; Maharashtra (excl Mumbai) had highest broadband

India had 324.9 million wireless and wireline broadband connections at the end of September 2017, an increase of 8% over a three month period starting from June 2017, according to data published by telecom regulator TRAI. Note that India there were 104.3 million narrowband connections in the country, a number which has been on the decline, possibly as more people switch to broadband from narrowband. Narrowband connections declined from from 130.35 million connection in June 2017.

The total: 429.3 million Internet connections, including both wireline and wireless connections, and broadband and narrowband. A majority of these Internet connections are on mobile.

Between July and September 2017, total broadband connections in rural India grew by 7%, and by 8.3% in urban areas. TRAI defines Internet connections with download speeds less than 512 kbps as narrowband, while connections with download speeds faster than 512 kbps are classified as broadband. Broadband connections were the majority in India with a 76% share, while narrowband connections comprised the remaining 24% connections.

It’s worth noting that the TRAI had recommended redefining the minimum broadband speed to 2mbps, which is still too less.

Some observations:

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

1. Delhi had the highest number of broadband connections in urban areas with 22.98 million, followed by Tamil Nadu with 20.22 million connections, and Maharashtra with 9.56 million connections.

2. Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai)had the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 8.34 million, followed by Andhra Pradesh with 7.99 million connections, and Uttar Pradesh (East) with 6.69 million connections.

3. Overall, Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) had the highest number of broadband connections in the country with 27.9 million connections. Tamil Nadu is at the second spot with 26.21 million connections, followed by Andhra Pradesh with 25.1 million connections.

4. Broadband connections in hilly states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and the North East including Assam is still very low with a total of just 16.45 million connections between them.

5. Andhra Pradesh added the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 0.79 million connections, between July and September 2017. In urban areas, Karnataka topped the list adding 1.83 million connections during the same time period.

6. Overall, Karnataka added the most connections during the three-month period with 2.14 million connections.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

While the market reality of popular crypto-assets like Bitcoin may undergo little change, the same can't be said for stablecoins.

News

Bringing transactions related to crypto-assets within the tax net could make matters less fuzzy.

News

Loopholes in FEMA and the decentralised nature of crypto-assets point to a need for effective regulations.

News

The need of the hour is for lawmakers to understand the systems that are amplifying harmful content.

News

For drone delivery to become a reality, a permissive regulatory regime is a prerequisite.

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ