India lost 986,091 million active mobile connections in September 2017, with Airtel, Idea, Reliance Jio and Vodafone accounting for 76% of total active mobile connections in India, according to data released by TRAI.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 1,017.7 million active connections in the month of September 2017.
– Strangely, Idea has 102.82% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 97.81%, followed by Vodafone at 93.87%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 275.87 million connections followed by Idea at 195.52 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For September 2017 (Total Connections):
– Reliance Jio added 5.93 million connections, taking its connection base to 138.61 million.
– Airtel added only 1 million connections, taking its connection base to 282 million.
– BSNL added 0.55 million connections, taking its connection base to 105.81 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 91.3% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Kerala. Jammu & Kashmir has just 77.32% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 105.68 million connections (105,681,996 connections). Maharashtra is second with 94.6 million connections (94,607,805 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 90.85 million connections (90,855,576 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 24%, followed by Vodafone at 18%, Idea at 16%, Reliance Jio at 12% and BSNL at 9%.
Top 4 telcos now have 76% of total active connections
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – lost 214,579 million active connections in September 2017, accounting for 65% of active connections, and 21% of total active added connections. Along with Jio, the top four now account for 76% of active connections.
Download: Press Release