India lost 4.02 million active mobile connections in August 2017, with Airtel, Idea, Reliance Jio and Vodafone accounting for 75% of total active mobile connections in India, according to data released by TRAI. Each and every telecom operators lost their active connections except Airtel and Reliance Jio in August 2017.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 1,185.8 million active connections in the month of August 2017.
– Strangely, Idea has 103.42% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 97.10%, followed by Vodafone at 94.09%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 272.89 million connections followed by Idea at 197.59 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For August 2017 (Total Connections):
– Reliance Jio added 4.09 million connections, taking its connection base to 132.68 million.
– Airtel lost 0.20 million connections, down its connection base to 281.04 million.
– BSNL added 0.79 million connections, taking its connection base to 105.26 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 91.95% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, and Kerala. J&K has just 76.73% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 106.02 million connections (106,023,588 connections). Maharashtra is second with 94.39 million connections (94,399,599 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 90.76 million connections (90,767,550 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 24%, followed by Vodafone at 18%, Idea at 16%, Reliance Jio at 11% and BSNL at 9%.
Top 4 telcos have 75% of total active connections
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – lost 0.64 million active connections in August 2017, accounting for 65% of active connections, and 16% of total lost active connections. Along with Jio, the top four now account for 75% of active connections.
Download: Press Release