MediaNama invites you to apply for a curated and invite-only #NAMApolicy discussion on the ‘Impact of Internet Shutdowns’, 10:00 am onwards on the 24th of November 2017 at The Park in Kolkata. This discussion is supported by Facebook.
Please click here to apply.
In India, there have already been 60 documented Internet Shutdowns this year, including a shut-down of over 100 days in Darjeeling. We intend to discuss why these shutdowns happen, what people go through when shutdowns happen, and how to deal with them or prevent them.
Discussion and format
Date: 24th November 2017
Venue: The Park, Kolkata
Event Flow — (subject to change)
1000-1100 Hrs: Registration & Tea
1100-1230 Hrs: Stories on Internet Shutdowns: their impact on businesses & society
1230-1330 Hrs: Lunch
1330-1500 Hrs: How to prevent/disincentivize Internet Shutdowns
1500-1600 Hrs: Keynote Address –(subject to availability)
We’re doing an open discussion with participants. The discussion is likely to cover the following points, among others:
– Internet shutdowns and ease of doing business: impact on continuity of services
– Social impact of Internet shutdowns
– Understanding administrative challenges with Internet shutdowns
– Disincentivising Internet shutdowns
– Alternatives to Internet shutdowns & the value of counter speech
Note that this is a curated event, with active audience participation, and selection will be based on potential contribution to the discussion.
We’re looking at an audience of around 40 people across:
– ISPs, Telecom operators and WiFi operators
– Human Rights organisations
– Industry organisations across different domains
– Internet companies and startups
– Government and regulatory executives
– Members of Parliament
– Policy Wonks
To attend, please click here to apply.
In case you fit with our mandate for a curated audience, we’ll send you a confirmed invite by the 20th of November. Your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.
This is an advertisement for MediaNama’s event in Delhi. MediaNama’s Native Advertising policy can be seen here, and past ads here. For advertising, contact email@example.com. In case youíre interested in sponsoring our events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.