Only 76.11%% of Reliance Jio’s 128.58 million connections were active during July 2017: a total of 97.86 million. This puts in near Reliance Communications, which has 76.7% of its mobile user base active. This was a month in which Jio added 5.22 million active mobile connections, according to data released by TRAI. The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month.
On the whole, India added only 74,837 active mobile connections in July 2017, with Tata Teleservices and Vodafone losing 1.24 million and 1.36 million active connections. Together, Airtel, Idea, Reliance Jio and Vodafone accounting for 75% of total active mobile connections in India.
– There were 1,022.77 million active connections in the month of July 2017.
– Idea has 102.52% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network. Looks like inter-circle roaming still happens.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 96.51%, followed by Vodafone at 93.42%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 271.43 million connections followed by Idea at 198.85 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For July 2017 (Total Connections):
– Reliance Jio added 5.22 million connections, taking its connection base to 128.58 million.
– Airtel added 0.6 million connections, taking its connection base to 281.25 million.
– BSNL added 0.39 million connections, taking its connection base to 104.55 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 91.39% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Kerala. J&K has just 75.64% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 106.27 million connections (106,272,824 connections). Maharashtra is second with 94.65 million connections (94,648,944 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 90.74 million connections (90,738,911 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 24%, followed by Vodafone at 18%, Idea at 16%, Reliance Jio at 11% and BSNL at 9%.
Airtel, Idea, Vodafone and Jio have 74% of total active connections
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – lost 1.07 million active connections in July 2017. Along with Jio, the top four now account for 74% of active connections.
Their growth is outpacing the rest, as, together, they accounted for more active connections during the month (65%) than all the telecom operators combined, while some of the rest lost connections.
Download: Press Release