In our other reports on the Consent panel at the #NAMAprivacy conference in Delhi, we look at whether we need a data protection and privacy regulator in India, and ways of making consent work. * A large part of the discussion today, when it comes to regulation, is around the idea of consent. At the #NAMAprivacy conference, we debated the premise that consent is broken and looked into whether it should be done away with entirely. A clear case in point, as Renuka Sané, Associate Professor at NIPFP, pointed out is when it comes to the finance sector and disclosure norms: "When you buy a financial product, there are many things written on a page, and you agree to the terms and conditions", and you find out later that it was mis-sold." Another case in point is app downloads: most users aren't…
- TLDR: Zoom MacOs loophole, Chinese apps submit algorithms, Signal breach, data localization, US FTC, more August 16, 2022
- Freedom Offer: Get Rs. 1000 Off On Our Subscription Plans August 15, 2022
- In comments on IT Rules, NLUD’s CCG flags ‘Corporate Censorship’ and unequal ‘grievance redressal’ August 12, 2022
- TLDR: Google’s fact-check, WhatsApp privacy, Kids’ data on Instagram, Microsoft in ONDC, GST on online gambling, more August 12, 2022
- IT Rules 2021: Now Google concerned about SRB mechanism for social media platforms August 12, 2022
MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.
Do we have an enabling system for the National Data Governance Framework Policy (NDGFP) aiming to create a repository of non-personal data?
A viewpoint on why the regulation of cryptocurrencies and crypto exchnages under 2019's E-Commerce Rules puts it in a 'grey area'
India's IT Rules mandate a GAC to address user 'grievances' , but is re-instatement of content removed by a platform a power it should...
Why ‘group privacy’ should be recognised, and how ‘non-personal’ data becomes a regulatory blindspot
There is a need for reconceptualizing personal, non-personal data and the concept of privacy itself for regulators to effectively protect data
Please subscribe to MediaNama. Don't share prints and PDFs.
You May Also Like
Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...
135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...
Twitter takes down tweets from MP, MLA, editor criticising handling of pandemic upon government request
By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...