OTA Yatra reported revenues of Rs 934.5 crore for the financial year ended 31st March 2017, up 12% from Rs 833.8 crore in the previous financial year. The company posted net losses of Rs 593.7 crore, up from 124.3 crore losses in FY16.
Yatra reported Gross Bookings of Rs 6905.2 crore, up 16.1% from Rs 5949.7 crore from FY16. Importantly, Net Revenue (Revenue less Service Cost) for the company was Rs 520.26 crore, up 23.6% from Rs 420.75 crore the previous year. Yatra had 2,343 employees as of March 31, 2017.
- Cumulative travel customers as of FY17 end: 5.2 million
- Repeat transactions as a % of total: 75%
- Direct to consumer transactions: 2.6 purchases per year
- Average transaction value: Rs 26,400
- Visits: 171 Million up 11% year on year (YoY)
- Unpaid traffic: 87% of visits, up from 81% in FY16
- eCash (rewards program for repeat usage): 48% 90-day repeat rate in January 2017, cross sell rate of 16%
- Yatra app downloads: 8.7 million
- Mobile: 63% of total consumer visits, up from 40% in FY16. 72% of total consumers visits in Q4 FY17
- Mobile app traffic (visits): up 30% YoY
- Mobile app air bookings: up 80% YoY
- Mobile app hotel bookings: up 40% YoY
- Travelers: 1.4 million
- Growth in net transaction count: 29%
- Growth in net transacting customers: 25%
- Growth in gross air passenger count: 20.6%
- Growth in gross holiday packages passengers traveled: 9.8%
- Growth in standalone gross hotel room nights booked: 21.4%
- Growth in gross bookings: 16.1%
– “visit” is a group of interactions on Yatra that occur within a 30 minute time frame.
– Unpaid traffic includes direct, organic and referrals traffic, compared to 81% in fiscal year 2016.
– Repeat transaction: by a returning customer
Yatra’s Air Ticketing revenue increased to Rs 365.7 crore for FY17, up 27.1% compared to Rs 287.67 crores in FY16. This growth was driven by an increase in Gross Bookings of 16.8% to around Rs 5760 crore in FY17, up from around Rs 4930 crore in FY16. The Net Revenue Margin increased to 6.4% for FY17, up from 5.8% for FY17. This happened because the company says it got better volume based deals from airlines, despite a “relatively flat fixed service fee on comparatively lower air ticket prices”.
eCash may not have the intended impact
In its risk factors, Yatra warns that its loyalty program, eCash, “may not have the positive impact on total transaction volume and customer retention”…”For example, we currently expect that customers who book business travel through our corporate platform will receive eCash points associated with that travel. However, if the eCash is held by the employer rather than the employee, the impact of this initiative may not be as significant as expected.
Hotels and Packages
Revenue from Hotels and Packages for Yatra increased to Rs 531.47 crore for FY17, up 1.9% from Rs 521.79 crore in FY16. Net Revenue (Revenue Less Service Cost) for hotels increased 7.4% to Rs 112.39 crores for FY17 from Rs 104.66 crore in FY16. This was due to an increase in its Gross Bookings by 8.5% to around Rs 1040 crore during the year. That increase was offset by a marginal decline in its Net Revenue Margin to 10.8% in FY17 from 10.9% in FY16.
Revenue from the Hotels and Packages business includes commissions and markups Yatra earns for the sale of hotel rooms (without packages), which is recorded on a “net” basis. Revenue from packages, including hotel and airline tickets sold as part of packages, is accounted for on a “gross” basis.
- Hotels: 64,500 in 1100 cities in India
- Homestays listed: 3500 properties
- Hotel room nights booked in FY17: 1.3 million
- Packages: approximately 1000 holiday packages
- Activities listed: over 47,000
Yatra has established ground handling operations and partnerships in Dubai, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia for this segment. Recently, they opened up the platform to third-party holiday packages sellers.
Yatra’s shareholding structure
JV for AdventureNation.com in 2012
We weren’t aware of this: Yatra had launched a joint venture company, along with Snow Leopard Pvt. Ltd, in 2012, to run an adventure travel business: adventurenation.com. Yatra has 50% stake in this venture.
- Rail Ticketing passengers via Yatra’s platforms since September 2017: over 2.4 million.
- Bus Ticketing passengers via Yatra’s platforms since September 2014: over 600,000 passengers.
Strategic Partnership with Reliance Jio
During the year, Yatra entered into a “strategic relationship” with Reliance Retail Ltd, an affiliate of Reliance Industries, following which Reliance Jio agreed to pre-install the Yatra mobile app on Reliance Jio LYF smartphones. Reliance Industries Limited, through an affiliate, is a strategic investor in Yatra. The multilingual Yatra mini app, which focuses on budget travelers for rail, bus and budget hotel bookings, is being preloaded into less expensive devices, while the Yatra app is being preloaded on mid to high-end devices. eCash (the loyalty program) is being offered to other users.