wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

422.2M Internet connections in India; Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) had highest broadband connections

India had 276.5 million wireless and wireline broadband connections at the end of March 2017, an increase of 17% over a three month period starting from December 2016, according to data published by telecom regulator TRAI. However, note that India also had 145.67 million narrowband connections in the country, which decreased from 155.46 million connection in December 2016. The total: 422.2 million Internet connections, includes both wireline and wireless connections. A majority of these Internet connections are on mobile.

Between January and March 2017, total broadband connections in rural India grew by 52%, and by 8% in urban areas. TRAI defines Internet connections with download speeds less than 512 kbps as narrowband, while connections with download speeds faster than 512 kbps are classified as broadband. Broadband connections were the majority in India with a 65.5% share, while narrowband connections comprised the remaining 34.5% connections.

It’s worth noting that the TRAI had recommended redefining the minimum broadband speed to 2mbps, which is still too less.

Some observations:

1. Delhi had the highest number of broadband connections in urban areas with 20.4 million, followed by Tamil Nadu with 17.35 million connections, and Maharashtra with 16.68 million connections.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

2. Andhra Pradesh had the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 7.44 million, followed by Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) with 6.68 million connections, and Uttar Pradesh (East) with 5.54 million connections.

3. Overall, Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai) had the highest number of broadband connections in the country with 23.36 million connections. Tamil Nadu is at the second spot with 22.77 million connections, followed by Andhra Pradesh with 21.07 million connections.

4. Broadband connections in hilly states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and the North East including Assam is still very low with a total of just 12.9 million connections between them.


5. Andhra Pradesh added the highest number of broadband connections in rural areas with 2.77 million connections, between January and March 2017. In urban areas, Delhi topped the list adding 2.5 million connections during the same time period.

6. Overall, Uttar Pradesh (East) added the most connections during the three-month period with 3.52 million connections.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

News

In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...

News

By Jai Vipra, Senior Resident Fellow at Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy The use of new technology, including facial recognition technology (FRT) by police...

News

By Stella Joseph, Prakhil Mishra, and Yash Desai The Government of India circulated proposed amendments to the Consumer Protection (E-Commerce) Rules, 2020 (“E-Commerce Rules”) which...

News

By Rahul Rai and Shruti Aji Murali A little less than a year since their release, the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020 is being amended....

You May Also Like

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ