wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Periscope creates a new revenue stream & introduces tipping for broadcasters

Twitter-owned live streaming app, Periscope has launched something called Super Hearts, which viewers can send to live broadcasters they like. To be able to send Super Hearts, viewers will have to purchase a coin package (priced between $0.99 and $100) from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Note that viewers can send Super Hearts only on the Periscope app (Android and iOS), but not on the Twitter app or Periscope.tv.

On the other hand, broadcasters can apply for what the company has dubbed the Super Broadcaster Program, and the ones approved will be able to exchange the Super Hearts accrued in their star balance for a cash payout. Broadcasters can apply to be part of this program here. The application process comprises of two parts: first with Periscope, in which broadcasters have to complete a questionnaire, and second with the payments partner Tipalti, in which they have to submit payment and tax information. Broadcasters must have a minimum star balance of 185,000 (worth $175) to be eligible for cash payout.

Twitter will deduct 30% as standard fees from in-app purchases and payment processing, and the remaining 70% will go to the broadcasters, according to this TechCrunch report. This program is currently live in the US, and the company said it will soon be rolled out internationally.

Note that broadcasters can still receive and send Super Hearts even if they aren’t yet eligible for the program.

Earlier this year, Twitter had introduced pre-roll ads on Periscope, allowing publishers and content creators to monetise their content. The controls that brands have on Twitter’s Amplify program was extended to Periscope. Periscope videos, both live and replay, will start with an ad.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Tipping gaining acceptance across platforms

Chinese live-streaming apps like Yinke and Yizhibo already allow content publishers to get tips via virtual currencies. While, Apple recently introduced tipping for content publishers through in-app purchases, with Apple retaining a 30% commission on all tips. Facebook Live has also been exploring revenue channels for content creators, and in February this year, it started testing ad breaks that interrupt on-demand video. However, the company keeps 45% of the ad revenue and content creators get 55%. Then there is Patreon, one of the most popular subscription patronage platforms, which just launched a paid fan-only streaming feature.

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

When news that Walmart would soon accept cryptocurrency turned out to be fake, it also became a teachable moment.

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

News

In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...

News

By Jai Vipra, Senior Resident Fellow at Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy The use of new technology, including facial recognition technology (FRT) by police...

News

By Stella Joseph, Prakhil Mishra, and Yash Desai The Government of India circulated proposed amendments to the Consumer Protection (E-Commerce) Rules, 2020 (“E-Commerce Rules”) which...

You May Also Like

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ