wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

DishTV Videocon D2H merger gets CCI approval; Competition in DTH

DishTV and Videocon D2H have received approval for their merger from the Competition Commission of India. Separately, shareholders in NASDAQ-listed Videocon D2H also gave the green light for the deal according to this SEC filing.  The merger deal is now pending approval from Indian courts is expected to receive final approval by second half of 2017.

Once combined, DishTV will own a majority of 55% stake, while Videocon will have the remaining 45% in the combined entity, called Dish TV Videocon Limited. Jawahar Goel (current Dish TV MD) will be the Chairman and MD of the company. The entity will have a total subscriber base of more than 28 million, out of which Dish TV contributes a higher base of 15.3 million.

Additionally, the merged entity claims to have a revenue base of Rs 5,915.8 crore and EBITDA margin of Rs 1,826.2 crore as per estimates for the fiscal year ended 31 March 2016. Dish TV currently claims a presence in more than 9,000 towns and Videocon D2H claims presence in more than 7,500 towns in India.

Competition

The DishTV and Videocon merger also come at a time when more telecom companies, who largely focus on cellular services, are now investing more into broadcasting and streaming.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Airtel recently upgraded its DTH boxes with Android TV integration along with streaming packages from Netflix. At that time we pointed out that Airtel DTH will have an upper hand over its competitors since Airtel DTH users now have direct content access to Google Play apps, music, videos, etc.

Apart from this, TataSky also offers Internet-enabled STBs but without an Android TV support. Jio is also expected to come out with its own set of DTH and IPTV services.

However, both Videocon and DishTV also have been investing into digital as well to keep up with the market. DishTV, which is owned by the Zee group, also owns the Internet-based video streaming platform Ditto TV.  Videocon D2H recently partnered with Hungama Play for app integration into DTH boxes and also has similar tie-ups with Sony LIV and Netflix (also a partner of Airtel and Vodafone).  Note that the deal was signed after Videocon scrapped its IPO plans for a second time in April 2015. Videocon has also partly shut down its consumer telecom business after competitive pressure.

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

India and US come to terms on how to deal with the equalisation levy in light of the impending Global Tax Deal.

News

Find out how people’s health data is understood to have value and who can benefit from that value.

News

The US and other countries' retreat from a laissez-faire approach to regulating markets presents India with a rare opportunity.

News

When news that Walmart would soon accept cryptocurrency turned out to be fake, it also became a teachable moment.

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ