India added 5.49 million active mobile connections in February 2017, and while some telecom operators showed a significant decline in their base, the fall was mitigated by Reliance adding 7.29 million active connections in the month. Jio reported 75.65 million active connections; India reported a total active connection base of 1010.64 million.
The Active Connection data includes users roaming on another telecom operators network. For example, Airtel, Idea and Vodafone have Intra-circle roaming arrangements which allow 3G users from Airtel to roam on an Idea 3G network. These are counted as separate mobile connections, and there is also multi-SIM usage, so the number of connections should not be seen as active users. This explains why Idea Cellular has over 100% active users.
It’s worth noting that this month, Idea surpassed Vodafone in total active connections. The two companies are merging, and Vodafone still has higher total connections. RCOM, Tata Tele, MTS, Telenor, MTNL and Aircel each showed a decline in total number of active users. For each of these, the number of their registered connections active is fairly low. For example, only 55.7% of MTNL’s connection base is active, while in case of Telenor, it was around 72.4%.
– Airtel has 263.18 million active mobile connections, the highest among telecom operators
– There were 1010.64 million active connections in the month of February 2017.
– Idea has 101.44% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos.
– Reliance Jio, with as many as 102 million connections at the end of February 2017, reported that only 73.56% of its registered connection base was active: around 75.65 million of them.
In terms of the total number of connections, Airtel leads with 270.68 million connections followed by Vodafone at 207.29 million, and Idea at 193.27 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For February 2017 (Total Connections):
– Reliance Jio added 12.20 million connections, taking its connection base to 102.84 million.
– Airtel added 1.24 million connections, taking its connection base to 270.64 million.
– Idea added 1.20 million connections, taking its connection base to 193.26 million.
Top 4 telcos have 73% of total active connections
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – added 4.07 million active connections in February 2017, accounting for 65% of active connections, and increased 74% of total active added connections. Along with Reliance Communications, the top four now account for 72% of active connections.
Their growth is outpacing the rest, as, together, they accounted for more active connections during the month (65%) than all the telecom operators combined, while some of the rest lost connections.
– In terms of active connections, Madhya Pradesh leads with 91.54% active connections, followed by Maharashtra, Kerala and U.P.(W). J & K has just 77.95% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 103.93 million connections (103,933,854 connections). Maharashtra is second with 93.55 million connections (93,556,657 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 88.76 million connections (88,769,334 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 23.25%, followed by Vodafone at 17.80%, Idea at 16.60%, Reliance Jio at 8.83% and BSNL at 8.50%.
Download: Press Release
– Active mobile connections in India up by 19M in December 2016: TRAI
– Active mobile connections in India up by 21M in October 2016: TRAI
– Active mobile connections in India declined by 17M in June 2016: TRAI
– Active mobile connections in India declined by 1.5M in May 2016: TRAI
– Active Mobile connections in India declined by 2.4 million in April 2016: TRAI
– India had 936 million active mobile connections in March 2016: TRAI
– India added 7.63M active mobile connections in February 2016
– India added 5.57M active mobile connections in January’16
– India added 4.92M active mobile connections in December’15; RCOM Loses 5.92M