wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Vodafone India will transfer 9.5% stake to Aditya Birla post merger

Vodafone India, which recently signed a merger deal with Idea Cellular will additionally sell a 9.5% stake to Aditya Birla, the promoters of Idea, according to the latest scheme of amalgamation filed by Idea in the BSE. The development was first reported by PTI. Each share will be sold for Rs 130 and the stake sale will be made once the merger gets completed.

Both Vodafone and Idea will have equal control over the merger entity. However, Vodafone will remain as the largest shareholder in the combined entity. Here is what the merger scheme between both companies proposes:
i) Vodafone will own a 50% controlling stake in the combined entity, while Aditya Birla will own a 21% stake in the combined entity.
ii) Post completion of the merger, Vodafone will transfer 4.9% stake in the merged entity to Aditya Birla for Rs 3,874 crore.
iii) After the transfer of stake, Aditya Birla’s stake in the merged entity will be increased to 26% while Vodafone’s stake will reduce to 45.1%.
iv) The remaining 28.9% stake will be open other shareholders.
v) Additionally, Aditya Birla will have the rights to acquire more stake from Vodafone at Rs 130 per share, for a period of 4 years.

Currently, promoters own 42.41% in Idea Cellular, according to BSE filings. The rest 57.59% stake in held by public shareholders. Aditya Birla Group currently owns 31.2% (majority stake) of Idea Cellular, while the rest of the promoters including Pilani Investments, Hindalco Industries, and Grasim Industries own 11.3% stake in Idea Cellular.

“Voda-Idea merger is not an exit strategy”: Vodafone CEO

When asked whether the Idea merger talks is an exit strategy, Vodafone Group’s CEO Vittorio Colao said during an analyst call that deal targets to build a stronger asset base using spectrum holdings and management teams from both companies and that it’s “not an exit” move. Vodafone was valued at $12.4 billion, while Idea’s Valuations stood at  $10.8 billion when the deal was signed last month. The combined entities will together hold a net present value (NPV) of Rs 670 billion (~$10 billion) after integration costs and spectrum liberalization payments.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The deal was signed after Reliance Jio’s launch in September last year. Jio’s freebies have hurt telco’s earnings, forcing smaller telcos to look for an exit. Telenor is now merging with Airtel while Videocon has decided to partially exit the telecom industry and re-launch via an MVNO license.

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

Due to the scale of regulatory and technical challenges, transparency reporting under the IT Rules has gotten off to a rocky start.

News

Here are possible reasons why Indians are not generating significant IAP revenues despite our download share crossing 30%.

News

This article addresses the legal and practical ambiguities in understanding the complex crypto ecosystem in India.

News

It is widely argued that the PDP Bill report seeks to discard the intermediary status of social media platforms but that may not be...

News

Looking at the definition of health data, it is difficult to verify whether health IDs are covered by the Bill.

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ