App installs for apps and businesses has been three times more in 2016 than in 2015 with 90.3% of the apps installs being organic and under 10% being paid, a report from software-as-a-service company Tune for mobile marketing.
The study was conducted by analyzing 236 million app installs by 100 million Indians and direct one-on-one feedback taken from 3,500+ Indian across major Indian cities and states. The study is also based on insights from 10 Indian mobile companies with a combined user base of 2 billion gamers.
Key insights from the study:
- Shopping tops the list of app installs, both in organic (39.65%) and paid (54.7%) install categories
- Among paid installs, shopping was followed by transportation (23.72%) and finance (8.26%) apps
- Among organic installs, shopping was followed by arcade games (15.91%) and lifestyle (13.80%) app
- The top 5 regions with highest app installs are Maharashtra, Delhi, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh
- 9 out of 10 Indians play mobile games and over 50% of Indians gamers prefer single player games
- 63% of the female users play single player games as opposed to 54% of male users
- 95.67% of the users use Android devices while only 4.33% use iOS devices.
- The top 5 smartphone brands are Samsung, Micromax, Lenovo, Apple and Redmi