Facebook videos seems to be catching up with YouTube. With 101,295,422 views on its Facebook videos, Times of India’s Facebook page was ranked at number one in the list of top 100 Facebook pages in India with the highest number of video views in February 2017. Following Times of India, Facebook pages of Aaj Tak (97,316,097 views) and Hebbar’s Kitchen (94,605,918 views) were ranked at second and third spot in Vidooly’s Most Popular Facebook Video Publishers in India report – February 2017.
Categorisation and ranking of Facebook pages
The Facebook pages have been categorised into six different genres for this ranking.
Health & Lifestyle:
- This genre also includes food, fashion and lifestyle.
- With 94,605,918 views, Hebbar’s Kitchen topped the genre followed by Glamrs (29,202,610 views) and Get Curried (20,310,520 views).
- The top 3 most popular Facebook pages in terms of page likes are Indian Makeup and Beauty Blog (6,775,550 likes), Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana (5,172,496 likes) and Glamrs (4,074,241 likes)
- The report notes that the top 7 out of this category relate to food. Facebook videos in Fashion and lifestyle are yet to take off in India.
- Digital brands like ScoopWhoop, Being India and The Viral Fever fall into this category.
- With 68,582,151 views, Buzzfeed India topped this genre followed by Being Indian (51,803,366 views) and Laughing Colors (43,600,511 views)
- The top 3 popular pages in this genre in terms of page likes are Laughing colors (26,921,388 likes), Rajnikant V/s CID jokes (13,125,148 likes) and FilmyDrama Official (10,915,631 likes)
- This genre covers movie production houses, music labels, TV channels, Print newspapers and radio channels.
- Vijay Television with 31,503,477 views topped the traditional entertainment genre, followed by Zoom TV (30,782,219 views) and Star Plus (30,607,368 views)
- The top 3 popular pages in this genre in terms of page likes are History TV India (41,626,172 likes), Zoom TV (11,677,591 likes) and Colors TV (11,174,848 likes)
- The top 3 pages with maximum number of video views in this genre are Scoopwhoop News 33,303,411 views, followed by Wittyfeed India (24,769,718 views) and Logical Indian (19,830,404 views)
- The top 3 popular pages in the New-age News genre in terms of page likes are Indiatimes (6,707,229 likes) followed by Logical Indian (5,717,367 likes) and The Quint (5,528,910 likes)
- The top 3 pages with maximum number of video views in this genre are Times of India with 101,295,422 views, followed by Aaj Tak (97,316,097 views) and ABP NEWS (79,303,503 views).
- The top 3 popular pages in the Traditional News genre in terms of page likes are Aaj Tak (17,421,765 likes), ABP NEWS (14,926,080 likes) and Dainik Jagran (13,197,627 likes).
- The reports notes that the top 50 traditional news pages have clocked over 575 million views in February 2017. and regional language content accounts for about 16% of this viewership.
- Individuals creating videos of comedy sketches, fashion video logs and tutorials fall under this genre.
- Varun Pruthi with 44,370,387 views topped this genre in terms of video views, followed by 2 Foreigners in Bollywood (25,237,590 views) and BB Ki Vines (4,203,318 views).
- Varun Pruthi (5,345,587 likes), SS Rajamouli (4,580,180 likes) and Shraddha Sharma (3,720,082 likes) were the top 3 popular pages in the genre in terms of page likes.
- The report notes that many popular YouTubers do not focus on Facebook since there is no monetisation on Facebook.
The ranking, the report says, is based on the number of views clocked only for month of February 2017 and does not take the watch time (the duration watched) metric into consideration. Only pages that upload videos consistently have been taken into consideration irrespective of the number of page likes. Traditional celebrities like movie or sports stars, singers and brands uploading advertisements have not been taken into consideration for this ranking. The report also notes “There is a slight chance that we might have missed some pages that are popular but do not upload videos consistently.”