comScore has partnered with multiplex operator PVR Cinemas where it will report daily theatre level information in India on its International Box Office Essentials service . According to the release, PVR Cinemas will utilise Rentrak’s Box Office Essentials service and provide them with daily office results. This includes 562 screens in 48 Indian cities across 18 states.
Presently, comScore claims to collect and deliver box office results from more than 125,000 screens in more than 25,000 theatres around the globe. International Box Office Essentials Service as a product is supposed to help film producers understand the performance of films in the U.S and across the world.
Multiplex chains in India and box office tracking:
With the consolidation of multiplex chains in the country in the recent years and the possibility of tracking box office results, film producers and distributors may now be able to track their results in a more transparent manner. That said, India is a country with cinema halls that operate independent of multiplex chains and multiple film industries in several regional languages. Tracking multiplex theatres could be a good start to solving a complex challenge.
Consolidation in cinema multiplexes
– In January 2015, Mexican multiplex operator Cinepolis acquired all 83 screens of Essel Group’s Fun Cinemas in India for an undisclosed amount.
– In the same month, Mukesh Ambani-led Network 18’s venture capital arm Capital18 informed that it is divesting its stake in cinema multiplex operator Stargaze Entertainment to Kochi-based Carnival Films.
– In August 2014, INOX had acquired 100% stake in New Delhi-based Satyam Cineplexes for Rs 182 crore.
– In July 2014, Carnival Cinemas had also acquired Housing Development and Infrastructure Ltd (HDIL) owned multiplex chain Broadway Cinemas for an undisclosed amount.
– PVR had also acquired 69.3% stake in competing multiplex chain Cinemax for Rs 394 crore in November 2012.