wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

RJio’s welcome offer extended to all users till March 2017

RIL Mukesh Ambani

All new customers buying Reliance Jio SIM cards will be able to avail free 4G data (capped at 1GB per day), free voice/video calls, and access to bouquet of Jio apps up till 31st March 2017, Reliance Industry Limited’s Chairman Mukesh Ambani said in a statement today. Existing Jio users will automatically receive the extended promotional offer. After 1GB of usage, speeds will be throttled down to 128 Kbps.

Once the user exhausts the 1GB data limit, they can make the recharges at offline stores, distributors, or online via Jio Money Wallet app. The tariffs are now updated separately for prepaid and postpaid customers. Below are screen shots of basic plans, more details here.

Basic Prepaid plans:
Basic Postpaid Plans:

On Jio Money Wallet rollout

Ambani claimed that the Jio Money wallet is on-boarding 10 million offline retailers and merchants including small shop owners, mandis, kirana stores, railway counters, etc. across 17,000 towns, 4 lakh villages it operates in. Starting 5th December, any merchant across the country can download and install a separate “Jio Money Merchant app” to receive payments from Jio Money Wallet users. Users can also send and load money from their bank accounts onto Jio Money.

On Interconnection issue and call failures

“We have not received the required support from our existing operators. In the last 3 months, more than 900 crore calls were blocked while interconnecting with the 3 largest operators,” Ambani said. Terming this “anti-competitive”,  Ambani claimed that this has restricted the company from providing good quality of voice service on Jio network.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

However, he denotes that call drop rate has come down significantly to 20%, from the earlier 90%. “We are working with fellow operators to make this rate to acceptable limits and regulations. We expect operators to release sufficient points of Interconnect over the coming weeks,” Ambani added.

Congestion in network and FUP limits

Ambani claims that over 8% of towers faced congestion from users who consumed “abnormally high data”. This has resulted in lower speeds at certain parts of the network, he added. 80% of Jio users consume less than 1GB of data per day, while the rest 20% consumed “disproportionately higher amounts of data”. This has forced the company to set FUP for the free offer at 1GB per day.

Other updates

User base: Reliance Jio’s now has over 52 million connections. It claims to have added 6 lakh customers on a daily basis for the past three months.

Home delivery of SIM cards: Jio has rolled out home delivery of SIM cards. Users can avail this by installing My Jio; they can authenticate themselves onto the network using Aadhaar-base verification. Jio claims to rollout home delivery of SIMs to 100 cities by 31st December.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

MNP: Jio now supports Mobile Number port in/port out to and from any network operator in the country.

Aadhaar based eKYC: Aadhaar based verification for Jio SIM cards is now available across 2 lakh offline outlets, retailers, and distributors across the country. The company aims to reach 4 lakh offline outlets by March 2017.

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.



Releasing the policy is akin to putting the proverbial 'cart before the horse'.


The industry's growth is being weighed down by taxation and legal uncertainty.


Due to the scale of regulatory and technical challenges, transparency reporting under the IT Rules has gotten off to a rocky start.


Here are possible reasons why Indians are not generating significant IAP revenues despite our download share crossing 30%.


This article addresses the legal and practical ambiguities in understanding the complex crypto ecosystem in India.

You May Also Like


Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...


135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...


Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...


By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ