wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Foodpanda India revenues up 704% to Rs 38 Cr in 2015-16

foodpanda

Foodpanda has reported revenues of Rs 37.81 crore for financial year 2015-16, up 704.4% from Rs 4.7 crore in 2014-15. The online food delivery company attributes this to order growth in key markets (unnamed) and increase in the commission it charges. It also reported losses of Rs 142.6 crore for 2015-16, increasing from Rs 36 crore in 2014-15.

Foodpanda claims that it hit operational profitability (on the marketplace and delivery) since February 2015. It plans to achieve 100% automation and turn profitable by 2019-20. At the start of this year, the company had laid off 15% of its staff to become ‘sustainable and profitable.’ At the time, it claimed to reduce manual intervention and hit 98% automation rate in order processing.

Spike in orders during demonetisation

The company experienced an incremental growth in the number of orders fulfilled by its own delivery services. As of now, Foodpanda delivers 40% of the orders while the remaining 60% are delivered by the restaurants. This is up from the 25% of orders it delivered in December last year. During the demonetisation phase, Foodpanda saw a 40-50% spike in orders.

Note that earlier this year, Foodpanda started delivering food in 45 minutes and promised a refund if the delivery was unsuccessful in that time frame. This was dubbed  “Express Guarantee” and was limited to restaurants which had exclusively tied up with Foodpanda.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Globally, Foodpanda reported revenues of $13.15 million in Q2 2016, up by 64.8% YOY from $7.98 million in Q2 2015. In the same quarter, the company delivered 7.6 million orders, up 66.1% YOY from 4.5 million orders in Q2 2015.

Foodpanda Hygiene rating in India

In August, Foodpanda started displaying a ‘Hygiene rating’ for all restaurants on its platform in India. The company would also conduct audits of restaurants to check on their cleanliness, hygiene etc., assigning restaurants in 3 tiers based on these metrics.

Competitor revenues:

Earlier this year, Zomato got 26,000 orders daily. For the fiscal year 2015-16, it reported operational revenues of Rs 184.97 crore but an operating EBITDA loss of Rs 492.27 crore.

In the same financial year, Swiggy made Rs 23.59 crore in revenues, expenses were 70% up to Rs 160 crore and losses were at Rs 137 crore, up from Rs 2.12 crore in 2014-15.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

 

Written By

I'm a MediaNama alumna from 2015-16 (remember TinyOwl?) now back to cover e-services like food and grocery delivery, app based transport and policies, platforms and media in India.

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

News

In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...

News

By Jai Vipra, Senior Resident Fellow at Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy The use of new technology, including facial recognition technology (FRT) by police...

News

By Stella Joseph, Prakhil Mishra, and Yash Desai The Government of India circulated proposed amendments to the Consumer Protection (E-Commerce) Rules, 2020 (“E-Commerce Rules”) which...

News

By Rahul Rai and Shruti Aji Murali A little less than a year since their release, the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020 is being amended....

You May Also Like

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ