Vuclip’s video on demand service, Viu has launched a micro original series (5 episodes so far) with Cricketer Virender Sehwag called Viru Ke Funde. Targeting mobile audiences, this series will have 15 episodes of about 2 minutes each. In each of these episodes, Sehwag will be seen ‘doling out advice’ to his friends about different issues including weight loss, handling stress, argument with wife, mother-in-law’s taunts, among others. The remaining episodes will be launched be one per day, over the next ten days till December 2, 2016.
This will be the second cricket based show launched by the platform in this year, after it launched a cricket comedy chat series called What the Duck in March 2016. The show was hosted by Vikram Sathaye and produced and co-created by CA Media’s Fluence. Supposedly based on Vuclip’s analysis on mobile consumer behaviour data, each episode in the series was set to be 13 minutes long.
Launched in March 2016, Viu is present in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Egypt and India. The platform claims to Asian content in 34 different languages from more than 270 top content providers around the world.
Other original content developments this year
- Earlier this month, Balaji Telefilms’ digital company ALT Digital announced its plans to launch its first web series starring Nimrat Kaur, directed by Nagesh Kukunoor.
- In October 2016, Viacom18’s online video streaming platform VOOT launched an original video show called “It’s Not That Simple.”
- In September, Netflix announced the Indian launch of original standup comedy series with comedian Vir Das.
- In July 2016, Sony Pictures Networks India’s web streaming platform SonyLIV launched a new web series called ‘Lost & Found.’
- In June 2016, Netflix tied up with Phantom Films to create its first original series in India based on author Vikram Chandra’s book Sacred Games.
- In March 2016, YouTube along with its content partners Culture Machine, Only Much Louder(OML), Qyuki and The Viral Fever (TVF) announced its plans to launch original properties related to beauty and style Beauty Hunt, Comedy Hunt and #LaughterGames, a comedy web series from multiple creators including East India Comedy
- In January 2016, Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra partnered with subscription-based video streaming service nexGTv to air an original show called ‘It’s my city.’