Canadian digital media and broadcasting company, VICE Media in association with the Times Group, is launching its digital services in India during the first quarter of 2017, reports IndianTelevision.com.
VICE Media partnership with Times Group
Earlier in June 2016, VICE Media signed a partnership with the Times Group’s Times Global Partners. According to the report, two joint ventures will be formed between the companies with one for television and the other for digital. A news bureau and production house will be opened in Mumbai to create original content for distribution across television, mobile, digital, among other platforms. While VICELAND will be launched as a paid TV network in the country, Virtue India, VICE’s in-house creative services agency will produce branded content targeting India.
It is worth noting that Times Group had entered into a similar partnership in 2013 with Gawker Media (Gawker), the independently owned & operated American online media company that has eight websites with over 40 million unique visitors, worldwide.
VICE Media properties and investments
Primarily targeting the age group of 18 to 34, VICE Media owns multiple digital properties including VICE Land, VICE Sports, Thumpland, Noisey, Broadly, Munchies and others across different genres such as music, fashion, comedy, food & travel, technology, current affairs, among others. VICE is also a prominent YouTube Multi-Channel Network with all its properties present on the platform. The company also has its app on Android and iOS. As January 2016, the company claimed to have over 24 million unique views on all its properties, put together.
Founded by Suroosh Alvi and Shane Smith, Vice Media has raised $770 million in four rounds of funding from Disney Interactive, A&E Television Networks, 21st Century Fox, Technology Crossover Ventures. Walt Disney owns over 10% in Vice Media after investing $400 million in December 2015 and valued the company at $4 billion. VICE acquired Carrot, the digital agency in 2013. It also acquired Garage magazine and Starworks Group in July 2016.
Times Internet partnerships and investments
- In June 2016, Times Internet announced its plans to invest as much as $100 million in its programmatic and native ad network platform Colombia
- In April 2016, Times Internet launched Spotlight, a content studio which will offer marketers content strategy, development and marketing.
- In the same month, online room and space reservation business AirBnB entered into a strategic partnership with, and raised an undisclosed amount of investment from the Times of India Group.
- Also in the same month, Haptik, an instant messenger concierge-like app, raised an undisclosed amount in funding from Times Internet and entered into a strategic partnership with the company.
- In March 2016, acquired US-based sports broadcaster Willow.TV for $100 million.
- In December 2015, Times Internet acquired Get Me A Shop, a startup which brings businesses online with a suite of technological applications, for an undisclosed amount.
- In November 2015, Times internet invested $15 million for an majority stake in services startup Taskbucks.