MediaNama invites you to apply for a curated #NAMApolicy open house discussion on the “Impact of Internet Shutdowns”, at India Habitat Centre in Delhi, at 04:00 pm on the 6th of December 2016, hosted in partnership with Facebook & Star India.
India is among the leading countries where the Internet is being shut down, for a variety of reasons, from issues related to the public order to preventing cheating in examinations. With an increased policy focus on digitizing government services, and connectivity becoming critical for the move towards a cashless economy, it is important to discuss the impact that Internet shutdowns have on citizens, businesses, and governance.
The discussion will broadly cover the following issues:
01. The economic impact of Internet shutdowns
02. Social impact of Internet shutdowns
03. Understanding administrative challenges with Internet shutdowns
04. Legal enforcement: Does Section 144 hold up?
05. Alternatives to Internet shutdowns & the value of counter speech
06. International perspective on implementation and norms
The session will be followed by dinner
Note that this is a curated event, and meant only for those who are already working in this domain. Every attendee will be a participant in this discussion.
We’re looking at an audience of around 50 people across:
– ISPs, Telecom operators, and WiFi operators
– Internet companies
– Government and regulatory executives
– Members of Parliament
– Policy Wonks
– Device manufacturers
To attend, please click here to apply.
In case you fit with our mandate for a curated audience, we’ll send you a confirmed invite. Also, your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama.
This is an advertisement for MediaNama’s event in Delhi. MediaNama’s Native Advertising policy and past ads are here. For advertising, contact email@example.com. In case you’re interested in sponsoring our events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.