Mobile operator Idea Cellular has reported 3.073 million 4G customers for the quarter ended September 2016 (Q2 FY17) growing 70.72% from the preceding quarter. It had reported 1.8 million 4G subscribers in the preceding quarter and 680,000 in the March quarter (Q4 FY16).
In contrast, Reliance Jio said that it signed up 16 million subscribers on its 4G network.
Idea’s 4G data volume usage stood at 10.25 billion MB at the end of the quarter increasing dramatically from 4.939 billion MB in the preceding quarter. Idea had 19.3 million 4G handsets compared to 14.2 million in the preceding quarter. The number of 4G cell towers increased to 24,945 from 19,939 in the preceding quarter.
Note that Idea now reports its both its 4G and 3G services under Mobile Broadband. Mobile Broadband’s average revenue per user (ARPU) dropped significantly to Rs 171 from Rs 191 in the preceding quarter.
Of a total 30.73 million mobile broadband (3G+4G) subscribers, Idea reported 27.63 million 3G subscribers, up 9.64% from 25.2 million in the preceding quarter.
– 3G data volume increased 13.76% to 69.61 billion MB from 61.91 billion MB in the preceding quarter.
– The number of 3G sites increased to 60,467 from 51,231 in the previous quarter.
– 3G phone penetration: Over 39.4% of Idea users own 3G devices. Note this also includes customers who own 4G phones.
Mobile Internet (2G+ 3G +4G)
Idea’s total data subscriber base stood at 54.063 million subscribers increasing 10.22% from 49.05 million in the preceding quarter.
– Mobile Internet volume grew marginally to 107.439 billion MB, from 93.27 billion MB in the previous quarter.
– Blended Internet ARPU (2G + 3G+4G) increased to Rs 130 from Rs 142 in the previous quarter.
– Blended usage per Internet subscription increased to 694 MB for the quarter, from 674 MB in the previous quarter.
– Net profit fell significantly by 99.36% to Rs 4.3 crore compared to Rs 675.9 crore in the same quarter last year.
– Gross revenue stood at Rs 9,300 crore, a decrease of 1.96% from Rs 8,791.5 crore from the preceding quarter.
– EBITDA stood at Rs 2840.1 crore, a fall of 3.2% from Rs 3074.2 crore in the preceding quarter.