Bharti Airtel has released a host of news apps and features through partnerships with video streaming service Ditto TV and online publisher Juggernaut Books. Its existing set of apps under the Wynk brand: Wynk Music, Wynk Games, Wynk Movies and Hike Messenger will also be bundled and offered via an update for MyAirtel App available on iOS and Android.
Under the Airtel Apps section in MyAirtel App, the company is offering new services like:
- Video content from Ditto TV with access to 1000 Live TV channels, and TV shows without any subscription charge for Airtel subscribers.
- Access to 15,000 E-books from Juggernaut Books with the first 5 purchases for free.
- Free 2GB of cloud storage and back up for all Airtel Subscribers. Prepaid Airtel subscribers will not be charged for data uploads overnight; this will be rolled out for postpaid subscribers sooner.
- Airtel Dialer app will provide real time balance information (data and voice), manage call details. Users making calls via Airtel Dialer will get first 50 minutes of free Airtel-to-Airtel calls for free.
- Unlimited streaming of over 2.5 million tracks under Wynk Music; over 2000 mobile games for free use under Wynk Games app; and free streaming and downloading of video content under Wynk Movies app.
- Airtel-owned Hike Messenger and Airtel Money app will also be bundled under with MyAirtel service.
Note that these services will be accessible to all Airtel subscribers via existing plans/packs; data charges will apply on all the mobile applications on MyAirtel App.
Airtel seems to be mirroring what Jio has been doing for a while. Jio already bundles similar set of apps which comes as a replacement for existing utility apps ad services. These include: MyJio, JioChat, JioPlay, JioOnDemand, JioBeats, JioMaags, JioXpressNews, JioDrive, JioJoin, JiMoney, and JioSecurity. These apps are offered as a bundled service to Jio subscribers. More here.
However for content services like JioTV, the company has not partnered with any third party provider. JioTV app claims to provide access to 6000 ad-free HD movies and 40 HD TV channels via its own library. It also claims to have a library of 10 million tracks in 10 languages under JioMusic service.
Idea bundled apps
Idea Cellular also unveiled plans of similar services. During its recent presentation for investors, the company said that it would be launching its mobile games app in the third quarter of this fiscal year, along with services like chat, music and movie streaming apps in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017.
At that time, Idea Cellular CEO, Himanshu Kapania had said that the “4G era will be about building an ecosystem of digital services”. He also denoted Reliance Jio and said “only telecom players with an ability to sustain an integrated offering including Voice, High speed mobile broadband services, Digital Sales and Service channel, Digital content and Payments services on a nationwide basis will thrive.”