MediaNama invites you to apply for a curated #NAMA open discussion on the “Future of Public WiFi”, at India Habitat Centre in Delhi, at 4:30 pm on the 6th of October 2016, as a part of an open house event hosted in partnership with Facebook & Google.
With the advent of 4G, there still remains an opportunity in WiFi rollouts: many cities have areas where public WiFi has been deployed; many restaurants in major cities have WiFi deployed. We plan to discuss the opportunities and challenges with WiFi rollouts: What kind of consumer behavior has been noticed on public WiFi networks? How can we increase the number of WiFi hotspots? What business models will help create a viable public WiFi system in India? What impact does impact of the spectrum allocation have on WiFi? Who should be allowed to roll out WiFi networks? What are the challenges related to rollout and maintenance, and whether an open WiFi environment is feasible? We bring all major stakeholders to the discussion table to discuss the future of WiFi in India.
The discussion will broadly cover the following issues:
01. The need for Public WiFi and the impact of 4G on data consumption
02. Data usage patterns on Public WiFi
03. Regulatory challenges related to Public WiFi
04. Potential Public WiFi business models
05. Role of government in Public WiFi
06. Choice of licensed and unlicensed spectrum
07. Business models for Public WiFi rollouts: freemium, subsidisation, paid.
08. Rollout options and obligations: one operator or many?
09. Security challenges for government agencies
10. Security issues for consumers
11. Authentication models for ensuring seamless connectivity for WiFi across the city
12. Payment mechanisms
13. Understanding WiFi and mesh networks
The session will be followed by dinner
Note that this is a curated event, and meant only for those who are already working in this domain. Every attendee will be a participant in this discussion. We’re looking at an audience of around 50 people across:
– ISPs, Telecom operators and WiFi operators
– Internet companies
– Government and regulatory executives
– Device manufacturers
– Policy Wonks
How to attend: Please click here to apply.
In case you fit with our mandate for a curated audience, we’ll send you a confirmed invite. Also, your contact information will never be shared with anyone outside of MediaNama. To get a sense of the depth of the discussions at #NAMA events, do check our #NAMAindic coverage