Idea Cellular has more than 1.8 million customers who are using 4G for the quarter ended June 2016 (Q1 FY17). The company had reported to 680,000 users the company reported in the preceding quarter.
The total 4G data volume usage shot up during the quarter to 4.939 billion MB compared to 1.438 billion MB in the preceding quarter. 14.2 million customers now have 4G enabled handsets compared to 11.1 million in the previous quarter. The number of 4G cell towers increased to 19,939 from 14,643 in the preceding quarter.
Note that Idea now reports its both its 4G and 3G services under Mobile Broadband. Mobile Broadband’s average revenue per user (ARPU) dropped significantly to Rs 171 from Rs 191 in the preceding quarter.
Of a total 27 million mobile broadband (3G+4G) subscribers, Idea reported 25.2 million 3G subscribers, up 10% from 22.909 million in the preceding quarter.
– 3G data volume increased 10.24% to 61.91 billion MB from 56.17 billion MB in the preceding quarter.
– The number of 3G sites increased to 51,231 from 50,060 in the previous quarter.
– 3G phone penetration: Over 34.8% of Idea users own 3G devices. Note this also includes customers who own 4G phones.
Mobile Internet (2G+ 3G +4G)
Idea’s total data subscriber base stood at 49.05 million subscribers increasing 11.42% from 44.02 million in the preceding quarter.
– Mobile Internet volume grew marginally to 93.13 billion MB, from 82.24 billion MB in the previous quarter.
– Blended Internet ARPU (2G + 3G+4G) increased to Rs 142, from Rs 147 in the previous quarter.
– Blended usage per Internet subscription dropped to 674 MB for the quarter, from 641 MB in the previous quarter.
– Net profit fell significantly by 36.1% to Rs 497.1 crore compared to Rs 777.8 crore in the same quarter last year. Idea attributed the fall in net profit to renewal of nine existing expired license & linked spectrum & acquisition of new spectrum. Idea’s launch of 4G services in 10 circles also attributed to the fall in net profit.
– Gross revenue stood at Rs 9,486.6 crore, an increase of 7.9% from Rs 8,791.5 crore in the same quarter last year.
– EBITDA stood at Rs 3,074.2 crore, an increase of 3.2% from Rs 3,064.5 crore.
– Data as a percentage revenue stood at 20.6% at the end of Q1, up marginally from 20.1% from the preceding quarter.