wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Xiaomi’s Mi Band most shipped in India among wearbles in Q1 2016: IDC

cc-xiaomi

Xiaomi’s Mi band that sells for around Rs 999, accounted for 27.1% of the shipments in India, making it the top vendor during Q1 2016, according data compiled by IDC. In terms of unit shipments, Xiaomi and GOQii together contributed to over 45% share, while Fitbit bands had maximum market value share, added IDC. GOQii wearbles closely followed Xiaomi taking the second position with 18.1% share, and Fitbit devices accounted for 6.2% share in terms of shipments.

Interestingly, the report said that smart watches have not yet gained enough momentum in the market because of their higher prices, however fitness bands like Mi Band, GOQii, Garmin VivoFit , etc. accounted for a major 87.7% of shipments in India during Q1 2016. Smart watches like the Apple Watch, Moto 360, Samsung Gear, etc. accounted the rest 12.3% in the same quarter, while the first two positions among smart watch shipments were grabbed by Samsung and Motorola; the global leader Apple stood third. In total, the entire wearable market in India shipped just over 400,000 units in the first quarter of 2016, added IDC.

Most wearbles are sold online: The most preferred channel for vendors during Q1 2016 was online through e-commerce portals, according to IDC. It added that a shift towards offline channels is increasing as more customers are looking to physically feel and test out the product before purchase. Fitbit and Apple were the only brands that were widely sold in physical stores; other brands had either limited or no offline presence.

“The popularity of wearable devices is restricted to urban sectors with relatively higher disposable income. Since online platforms are immensely popular in this segment, nearly three-quarter of the sales happened through leading online retailers. However, to expand the reach, an increasing number of brands are taking up the offline channel, especially though major large format retail (LFR) outlets,” added the report.

Other highlights

Samsung’s Gear S2 helped the vendor secure a leading position among smart wearable brand this quarter. It managed to secured 4th position overall with 2.5% market share, and 1st in the smart wearable category, with a 20.4% market share.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Motorola’s second-generation Moto 360 device aided the company to secure 1.4% market share overall, and over 11.5% percent market share among the smart watch category.

Globally, the entire wearable industry shipped 19.7 million units in Q1 2016, an increase of 67.2% from the 11.8 million units shipped in Q1 2015. Fitbit held the 1st position worldwide with 24.5% market share (4.8 million units); Xiaomi secured 2nd position with 19% share (3.7 million units); and Apple captured 7.5% (1.5 million units) of the global wearable market.

Image Credits: Flickr user Jon Russell under CC BY-SA 2.0

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

Find out how people’s health data is understood to have value and who can benefit from that value.

News

The US and other countries' retreat from a laissez-faire approach to regulating markets presents India with a rare opportunity.

News

When news that Walmart would soon accept cryptocurrency turned out to be fake, it also became a teachable moment.

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

News

In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ