India added 11.24M active mobile connections & Airtel, Idea, RCOM & Vodafone have 76% of total active mobile connections in India – March 2016
According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India added 11.24 million “active” mobile connections during the month of March 2016.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 936.46 million active connections in the month of March 2016.
– Strangely, Idea has 105.04% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 97.68%, followed by Vodafone at 96.44%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 245.40 million connections followed by Vodafone at 190.89 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For March 2016 (Total Connections):
– Airtel added 2.54 million connections, taking its connection base to 251.23 million.
– Bsnl added 1.51 million connections, taking its connection base to 86.34 million.
– Vodafone added 1.20 million connections, taking its connection base to 197.94 million.
– In terms of active connections, Kerala leads with 94.73% active connections, followed by Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and U.P.(W). North East has just 81.66% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 92.23 million connections (92,235,750 connections). Maharashtra is second with 84.09 million connections (84,099,888 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 81.34 million connections (81,342,122 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 24.31%, followed by Vodafone at 19.15%, Idea at 16.94%, Reliance at 9.91% and Aircel at 8.43%.
Top 4 telcos have 76% of total active connections
The top three telecom operators in India – Vodafone, Airtel and Idea Cellular – added 7.70 million active connections in March 2016, accounting for 66% of active connections, and 69% of total active added connections. Along with Reliance Communications, the top four now account for 76% of active connections.
Their growth is outpacing the rest, as, together, they accounted for more active connections during the month (66%) than all the telecom operators combined, while some of the rest lost connections.
Download: Press Release
– India added 7.63M active mobile connections in February 2016
– India added 5.57M active mobile connections in January’16
– India added 4.92M active mobile connections in December’15; RCOM Loses 5.92M