Times Internet’s* Android app smartapp has published a report on voice and data usage based on its 750,000 users (the app was launched 3 months ago). Smartapp tracks outgoing, incoming, 3G and roaming and offers online recharges based on usage from Vodafone, Idea, Airtel, Reliance, BSNL, MTNL and Docomo among others.
Here’s a breakdown of the report:
– Through anonymised data, the report states that users spend 85 minutes on the smartphone, broken down into: browser for 21 minutes, apps for 19 minutes, followed by calls at 13 minutes, music for 12 minutes, games at 11 minutes and video for 9 minutes.
– Interestingly, users sent 1.6 SMSes per day.
– On an average, users make calls for 170 minutes and receive calls worth 220 minutes per month.
– Users’ top 5 contacts make up 64% of all outgoing calls, while incoming calls account for 14% from the top 5 contacts.
– On an average, less than 15% of all calls were STD calls, on which users spent 28 minutes per month.
– With respect to roaming, outgoing calls were at 7 minutes per month, and incoming at 12 minutes.
– Voice plans made up 63% of all plans picked by prepaid users. In this, 53% were top up plans, the most popular, followed by special recharges at 14%, 3G data at 12%, full talktime plans at 9%, shared with 2G data also at 9%, SMS at 2% and roaming plans at 1%.
– 410 MB of 3G data was consumed per month on an average
– Average WiFi usage was 690 MB per month
– Most prepaid users consumed 500 MB of 2G/3G data per month
Apps and app data
– Per month, YouTube used the most data at 210 MB, followed by UC Browser at 110 MB, Google Play at 92 MB, Facebook at 90 MB and WhatsApp at 85 MB.
– Per month, users spent 500 minutes (8.3 hours) on Facebook, 400 minutes on WhatsApp, while under 100 minutes were apps like YouTube, Flipkart, Paytm, Amazon and Snapdeal in that order.
– On an average, a smartphone user received 8.7 notifications every day.
– The average number of apps on a phone was as low as 29 and also included system/pre-installed apps.
– Every month, users installed 7.8 new apps, and uninstalled 7.2 apps.
– Without providing the total number of installed apps out of the 750,000 users, smartapp states that in shopping apps, Flipkart was the most installed, followed by Paytm, Snapdeal, Amazon, Myntra, Jabong and Shopclues.
– Vodafone had the highest 3G user base in the market at 29%, followed by Airtel at 27%, Idea at 18%, others at 17% and Reliance Mobile at 9%.
Disclosure: Times Internet is an advertiser with MediaNama
Image Credit: Mid and bottom images from smartapp report