According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India added 7.63 million “active” mobile connections during the month of February 2016.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 925.22 million active connections in the month of February 2016.
– Strangely, Idea has 104.41% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– Airtel has the second highest active connection base of 96.97%, followed by Vodafone at 96.07%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 241.15 million connections followed by Vodafone at 189.01 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For February 2016 (Total Connections):
– Airtel added 2.90 million connections, taking its connection base to 248.69 million.
– Vodafone added 2.03 million connections, taking its connection base to 196.74 million.
– Idea added 1.46 million connections, taking its connection base to 174.62 million.
– In terms of active connections, Kerala leads with 94.47% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and West Bengal. North East has just 82.03% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 91.11 million connections (91,117,687 connections). Maharashtra is second with 83.54 million connections (83,544,429 connections) and Tamil Nadu is third with 81.26 million connections (81,269,089 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 24.22%, followed by Vodafone at 19.16%, Idea at 17.01%, Reliance at 9.93% and Aircel at 8.44%.
Download: Press Release
– India added 5.57M active mobile connections in January’16
– India added 4.92M active mobile connections in December’15; RCOM Loses 5.92M
– India added 4.86M active mobile connections in November’15; RCOM Loses 4.60M
– India added 8.53 million active mobile connections in October 2015
– India added only 7.74M active mobile connections in September 2015
– India added only 0.78M active mobile connections in August 2015
– 885 Million Active Mobile Connections In India in July 2015
– 881 Million Active Mobile Connections In India in June 2015