Travel search marketplace ixigo has launched ixibook, a service which will allow users to book flights and hotels within the ixigo app, in a partnership with online travel agency Cleartrip and OYO Rooms respectively. ixibook, which is only available on the Android app as of now, won’t direct the user to the third party site, instead asking the user to sign in through Facebook or Google+ to book in one click.
The company has plans to introduce ixibook on iOS and web in the coming weeks. It says that ixibook will enhance conversions for its partners and expects 30% of its flight and hotel bookings to happen through ixibook in the next few months. It plans to add more partners to the service to allow people to book from other choices from within the app. For Cleartrip, it says this means a better user experience, whereas for OYO Rooms, Ritesh Agarwal, founder and CEO said that it will be able to expand its reach for leisure travel.
Its necessary for a user to sign up on ixigo for it to store traveller details. According to the company, post-booking customer support will be handled directly by the respective partner.
ixigo has been padding up its service with multiple offerings:
– In November last year, it launched a meta search called Super Value Hotels for curated budget hotels on its platform, with a collection of 2,500 budget hotels across 80 cities. It would aggregate and compare deals across hotel aggregators and online travel agencies where users would be able to compare hotel prices, ratings, reviews and amenities.
– In August, it acquired all the intellectual property of Desi Backpacking Travelers, the company that ran IndianBackpacker, for an undisclosed amount. The company added a ‘booking’ section to the IndianBackpacker website.
– In the same month, ixigo acquired Rutogo, an intercity cab aggregator for an undisclosed amount to help in scaling ixigo’s cabs app by building a marketplace for intercity taxi owners and vendors.
– In April last year, it launched an Android app called ixigo Cabs which aggregated cab info from places near the users.
– In June, Indian handset manufacturer Micromax made an undisclosed investment in ixigo, where the two companies said that they would work towards building on-demand and one-click travel experiences that would be integrated into Micromax devices.
Developments in the online travel segment:
– Last month, Ibibo Group raised $250 million from South African media conglomerate Naspers and Chinese internet company Tencent. In September last year, it launched a new section called GoStays which would aggregate unbranded budget accommodations across India.
– In December, we reported that nearly 60% of Cleartrip’s traffic in and 46% of all transactions on the platform came from mobile during Q2 2015.
– #Outlook16: What Indian online travel companies plan to do in 2016
– Oyo & Zo Rooms delisted from MakeMyTrip, Yatra, Goibibo
– Cleartrip’s former head of hotels launches budget accommodation Comfy Stays