Entertainment channel Bindass will launch a series called ‘Girl in the City’ on Facebook by the 28th of April. The company mentions that it will subsequently launch the show on YouTube two days later, and on its TV channel in another two days.
The series is about a girl who comes to Mumbai to pursue her dreams. The show will last for 13 episodes of 15 minutes each. Bindass has partnered with Facebook as its media partner for the first airing. The company mentions that if the show is successful, it will continue to venture into making web-first launch series.
Note that TV channels have been increasingly streaming their content online, or looking into developing original content for the web. Last month, Zee Digital launched a new VoD platform called OZEE, listing TV shows that are aired by its TV channel, other than various movies. Star India launched its video streaming service called Hotstar in January last year, while Sony launched its service called SonyLiv back in 2013. Hotstar began expanding internationally last month.
Other developments in original content:
– Earlier today, FremantleMedia said it would launch a Facebook exclusive web series called ‘Confessions – It’s Complicated’ by next week.
– Yesterday, Viacom18 launched its video on demand platform VOOT. The agency said then that it would roll out shows in both long and short formats across genres as original content.
– Earlier this month, mobile VOD company Vuclip launched Viu, a video on demand (VOD) service in India. It also added original content by launching Viu Originals in the same month, starting with a cricket comedy chat series called What the Duck.
– In the same month, YouTube, along with its content partners Culture Machine, Only Much Louder (OML), Qyuki and The Viral Fever (TVF), said it would launch original content related to beauty, comedy and other genres.
– The same week, Vuclip launched Viu, a video on demand (VOD) service in India and branched into original content with the launch of Viu Originals, starting with a cricket comedy chat series called What the Duck.