wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sony Music’s original video series to be broadcast on Verizon’s Go90 app

verizon go901

Sony Music and telecom operator Verizon have gotten into a multi year agreement where Sony’s original videos will be distributed on Verizon’s Go90 mobile app which streams sports, news and entertainment as well as original content programming, reports Indiantelevision. Go90 expects to announce a deal with Warner Music soon.

Go90 was launched by Verizon late last year as an ad supported service for Verizon and non Verizon users and has deals with multiple digital video studios. Along with Sony Music, the agreement also includes programming from Astronauts Wanted, a joint venture between Judy McGrath and Sony Music Entertainment.

Lee Stimmel, head of original content at Sony Music Entertainment, said in a press release: “We are delighted to be partnering with Verizon to develop music-based original video content for the go90 platform.” Go90 is targeted specifically at millennials and competes with Netflix, Amazon Video and Hulu among others. It will stream series like Crashed, Car Star and A Live Festival to start with.

AOL purchase: In May, the US telecom operator purchased digital media company American Online (AOL) in a $4.4 billion all cash deal, to drive its LTE wireless video and OTT services. The acquisition was also made to provide cross-screen connections for consumers, advertisers and creators in tandem with its IoT (Internet of Things) platforms. Verizon provides traditional cable TV and TSP services in the US and had launched channels AwesomenessTV and DreamWorksTV as OTT offerings in March last year.

The deal included all of AOL’s properties: Huffington Post, Moviefone, Engadget, TechCrunch and Stylelist, advertising properties like AOL advertising, advertising.com, 5min Media and StudioNow, local services like MapQuest and its membership services like dial up internet access, AOL Mail, AIM and About.me.

In September 2014, Verizon’s proposal to increase its stake in Verizon Communications India to 100% from its existing 74% had been deferred. Verizon Communications India was formed as a joint venture with Videocon Group’s Leo Communications back in 2007, with Leo Communications owning the remaining 26% stake.

Sony-Zee Music deal: In April 2014, Sony Music Entertainment India signed a worldwide deal with Zee Music Company to manage all digital assets (except YouTube) of all Bollywood releases from the latter. Sony Music would get access to all of Zee Music’s Bollywood releases. The company had earlier stated plans to acquire music rights of over 20 major motion pictures in that financial year.

Our video coverage here.

You May Also Like


The Tamil Nadu Government wrote to Prakash Javadekar, the Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting, requesting a stop or ban on the release of...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ