wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Airtel and Robi Axiata to merge operations in Bangladesh

Telecom operator Airtel and Robi Axiata have signed an agreement to merge their operations in Bangladesh, the company said in a notification in the Bombay Stock Exchange. According to the deal,  Axiata will hold 68.3% controlling stake in the combined entity, while Bharti will hold 25%. The remaining 6.7% will be held by the existing shareholder, NTT DOCOMO of Japan. Following the merger, Robi will serve approximately 40 million customers  and will overtake Banglalink Digital Communications as the second largest telecom company in Bangladesh. The merger follows exclusive talks between Airtel and Robi Axiata in September. Airtel entered Bangladesh by acquiring 70% stake in Warid Telecom in 2010, while in 2013, it picked up the remaining 30% too. Note that Robi’s parent group, Malayasia-based Axiata Group Berhad, also owns 19.79% stake in Idea Cellular. Airtel's Bangladesh operations and financials Airtel reports its Bangladesh and Sri Lanka operations under South Asia head. At the end of the December quarter,  Airtel was present in 64 district with a distribution network comprising of 158,000 retailers across Bangladesh. The company also has more than 2,700 3G sites in the country. Revenue from the region stood at Rs 413.5 crore for the Q3 FY16, a increase of 9% as compared to Rs 378.8 crore in the corresponding quarter last year. Data revenue grew by 66.3% to Rs 55.3 crore as compared to Rs 33.2 crore in the corresponding quarter last year. Data customers represented 27.4% of the total South Asia customer base in the quarter as compared to 23.3% in the corresponding quarter last year.  Total data…

Please subscribe/login to read the full story.
Written By

Free Reads

News

TRAI first introduced the idea of displaying the caller's name in a consultation paper back in 2022.

News

As per reports, the Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) will be enabled with 5G capability and will be built to function in extreme temperatures and...

News

One of the X posts on Krutrim that blew up was about the AI model claiming that it was created by OpenAI as opposed...

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

Notably, Indus Appstore will allow app developers to use third-party billing systems for in-app billing without having to pay any commission to Indus, a...

News

The existing commission-based model, which companies like Uber and Ola have used for a long time and still stick to, has received criticism from...

News

Factors like Indus not charging developers any commission for in-app payments and antitrust orders issued by India's competition regulator against Google could contribute to...

News

Is open-sourcing of AI, and the use cases that come with it, a good starting point to discuss the responsibility and liability of AI?...

News

RBI Deputy Governor Rabi Shankar called for self-regulation in the fintech sector, but here's why we disagree with his stance.

You May Also Like

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ