Sharat Singh, MakeMyTrip’s CTO who quit the company last month, has joined Flipkart as VP of engineering for content. Singh will lead the CMS engineering team which includes CMS data management, quality, content relevance and development.
Singh joined MakeMyTrip in August last year, before which he worked as the India MD of Shopzilla. Singh has also worked with Nextag as VP of engineering and country manager, program director at Microsoft, VP of engineering at Ideas, Managing architect at Compuware and director of engineering at CSSC.
Flipkart has also appointed Ravi Krishnaswamy as VP of engineering for infrastructure. Ravi will be responsible for strengthening the company’s operations across Infrastructure as a Service and Platform as a Service with respect to organisation design and bandwidth.
Previously, Ravi worked as the engineering head of Azure IDC for over 2 years, as group engineering director of Azure app platform for over a year and as a director of development of common language runtime for almost 14 years, all at Microsoft. He has also worked as a researcher at National Center for Data Mining, University of Illinois at Chicago for over 2 years.
Major appointments at Flipkart:
– Late last month, Flipkart appointed Samardeep Subandh as its chief marketing officer where Subandh would be focusing on gaining customer insights, customer centricity and communications.
– In the same month, the company hired Sriram Venkataraman as the CFO for its commerce platform and Pramod Jain as VP and head of taxation. Venkataraman would head all aspects of the finance functions and drive its business and strategy.
– In April, the company also appointed Peeyush Ranjan as Head of Engineering, joining from Google.
– In March, Flipkart appointed Puneet Soni as its chief product officer, who joined from Motorola Mobility.
– In the same month, McKinsey’s Saikiran Krishnamurthy was appointed as COO of Commerce Division.
Recent departures include:
– Ravi Vora, CEO of Strategic Brands at Flipkart quit in September, after a little over four years at the company.
– Flipkart’s CTO Amod Malviya moved to an advisory role earlier, while its Head of Engineering Sameer Nigam quit. More here.
Other hires at the company include:
– Last month, Flipkart appointed Ram Papatla as vice president of product management where Papatla would be responsible for customer experience by focusing on content and product info, and report to chief product officer Punit Soni.
– In July, the company appointed Krishnendu Chaudhury as head of image sciences, who would work towards developing Deep Learning Convolutional Neural Networks for object recognition in images and lead the development of computer vision and image processing technologies along with Peeyush Ranjan, Flipkart’s head of engineering.
– In the same month, Flipkart appointed Eric Lange as VP of product management of customer experience. Lange worked as the VP of product management for ads at Yahoo for 2 years.
– Mayur Datar from Google joined the company as its Principal Data Scientist.
– Anand KV was appointed as senior VP of customer experience (commerce platform). He was previously Hathway Cable & Datacom’s president (digital platforms)
– txtWeb co-founder Manish Maheshwari was appointed VP and head of seller ecosystem.