According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India added 7.74 million “active” mobile connections during the month of September 2015.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 893.70 million active connection in the month of September.
– Strangely, Idea apparently has 102.57% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– RCom has the second highest active connection base of 97.06%, followed by Airtel at 96.95%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 228.03 million connections followed by Vodafone at 177.16 million connections.
Note: There appears to be some discrepancy in Tata Tele’s figures. The September release of telecom subscription data shows that Tata Tele had 62020037 subscribers in August. While the same figure is not reflected in the August release.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For September 2015 (Total Connections):
– Idea added 2.63 million connections, taking its connection base to 166.56 million.
– Airtel added 2.22 million connections, taking its connection base to 235.21 million.
– Vodafone added 1.59 million connections, taking its connection base to 188.17 million.
– Bsnl added 1.04 million connections, taking its connection base to 79.69 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 94.07% active connections, followed by Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. North East has just 82.51% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 85.31 million connections (85,311,109 connections). Tamil Nadu is second with 79.33 million connections (79,336,699 connections) and Maharashtra is third with 79.18 million connections (79,189,411 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 23.60%, followed by Vodafone at 18.88%, Idea at 16.71%, Reliance at 11.08% and Aircel at 8.43%.
– India added only 0.78M active mobile connections in August 2015
– 885 Million Active Mobile Connections In India in July 2015
– 881 Million Active Mobile Connections In India in June 2015
– 868 Million Active Mobile Connections In India in May 2015; RCOM Loses 1.11M