Vodafone India has 22.1 million 3G Internet connections for the quarter ended June 30, 2015. In comparison, the telecom operator had 10 million connections in the same period last year, and 19.4 million subscribers in the preceding quarter. This takes up Vodafone India’s total data connections up to 66.8 million, up 4.38% quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q) from 64 million.
Vodafone’s competitor and number three telecom operator in India, Idea Cellular’s 3G subscriber base stood at 16.6 million and it added 2.148 million 3G customers during the same quarter. Note, Vodafone’s total mobile Internet connection base seems to include incidental mobile Internet users (users who have consumed less than 1 MB/month), while its competitors Idea Cellular, Airtel and Reliance Communications have started culling incidental mobile Internet users from the past few quarters. Maybe it’s time Vodafone India also started doing it.
Other data highlights
– 2.7 million 3G connections added during the quarter, down from 2.8 million additions in the previous quarter.
– Total 3G Internet connections user base is at 22.1 million for the quarter, as compared to 19.4 million 3G connections in the previous quarter and 10 million 3G connections in the same quarter last year.
– Total 2G data connection base is at 44.7 million for the quarter, up from 44.6 million connections in the previous quarter.
– Total data usage increased by 79% year-on-year (YoY). Data revenues increased by 65% YoY and data revenues now represent 17% of the company’s service revenue.
– Blended prepaid mobile ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) for the quarter is Rs 149, marginally down 0.66% from Rs 150 in the previous quarter.
– Average data usage per user for the quarter is 357 MB, up 7.86% from 331 MB in the previous quarter.
– Vodafone says that it now has 94,000 M-Pesa agents and 501,000 active users.
Project Spring: Vodafone India added 1,100 3G sites and 1,000 2G sites during the quarter as part of its Project Spring initiative. So far 4,000 2G and 21,000 3G sites have been added since the build commenced. However, its 3G coverage in targeted urban areas increased marginally to 91% from the previous quarter at 90%. More on Project Spring initiative here.