Idea Cellular has reported 37.2 million mobile data subscriptions for the quarter ended June 30, 2015, registering a blended mobile data ARPU (average revenue per user) of Rs 147, a growth of 36.11% from Rs 126 in the same quarter last year. However, on a quarter-on-quarter basis (q-o-q) mobile data ARPU fell by 2% from Rs 150.
Note that Idea Cellular had changed its mobile data subscriber definition in the preceding quarter, and has eliminated from its reporting incidental data users of less than 10 Mb/month. Idea Cellular had started culling incidental data users from Q3-FY14 and it had previously defined it as users who have consumed less than 1 MB/month.
The total 3G subscription base stood at 16.6 million at the end of Q1 FY16 growing nearly 90% from 8.775 million subscribers from the same period last year. The telco’s 3G subscription base was at 14.5 million in the preceding quarter, an addition of 2.148 million customers.
Idea’s net profit after tax was Rs 930.83 crore in the first quarter, compared with Rs 728.2 crore in the same period a year earlier, representing a growth of 27.83%year-on-year. Data as a percentage revenue stood at 17.7% at the end of Q1, up from 16.9% from the preceding quarter. Data as a percentage revenue stood at 11.5% in the same quarter last year.
3G Mobile Internet connections
The telco has reported a 3G data connection base of 16.6 million for the quarter, up from 14.5 million connections in the preceding quarter and from 8.775 million connections in the same quarter last year. 3G data ARPU has decreased to Rs 203 from Rs 209 in the previous quarter, while the 3G Internet usage grew to 778 MB from 777 MB in the previous quarter. The data on 3G Internet for Idea Cellular at the end of Q3-FY15:
– 3G Internet connections: 16.6 million, up from 14.5 million in the previous quarter.
– 3G Internet ARPU per Internet customer: Rs 203, down from Rs 209 last quarter
– 3G Internet Usage: 778 MB per connection, up from 777 MB last quarter
– 3G Internet volume: 36.031 billion MB, up from 30.68 billion MB in the previous quarter.
– 3G Sites: 33,621, up from 30,291 sites in the previous quarter.
– 3G phone penetration: Over 25.6% of Idea users own high speed 3G devices.
– The contribution of non-voice revenues (Internet & VAS) to Idea Cellular’s overall revenues also improved to 26.1% for the quarter, up from 24.5% in the previous quarter. The growth is primarily driven by the increase in data revenues although the non-data VAS contribution grew to 8.4% for the quarter, from 7.6 % in the previous quarter.
– Mobile Internet volume grew significantly to 62.68 billion MB, up 15% from 54.51 billion MB in the previous quarter.
– The average realization per MB decreased to Rs 0.246 per MB for the quarter, from Rs 0.257 per MB in the previous quarter.
– Blended Internet ARPU (2G + 3G) fell to Rs 147, from Rs 150 in the previous quarter and grew from Rs 108 in the same quarter last year.
– Blended usage per Internet subscription grew to 599 MB for the quarter, up from 586 MB in the previous quarter and 409 MB in the same quarter last year.
LTE and other services in 2016
Idea also said it has initiated multiple steps towards introduction of 4G LTE services on 1800 MHz spectrum band in these 10 service areas, in a phased manner from calendar year 2016 onwards. The company is also in the process of revisiting its existing Value Added Services offering and intends to introduce its own range of ‘Digital Services’ across various categories like entertainment, information, communication, utilities and API services etc. in next financial year.