The data card base of Sistema Shyam Teleservices (SSTL) which operates in India as MTS India, grew to 1.8 million subscribers for the quarter ended March 31, 2015, up 9.4%. The company’s data card subscribers stood at 1.6 million in the preceding quarter ended December 31.
Non-voice revenues, from both data and mobile VAS, for the quarter increased by 11.1% to Rs 182.7 crore. Non-voice revenues now contributes to 51.1% of total quarterly revenues. In the preceding quarter, non-voice revenues contributed 46.86% of total revenues.
– Blended mobile ARPU for the quarter increased by 4.2% to Rs 127 on account of increase in data usage
– Mobile subscriber base is on a declining trend quarter-on-quarter and reached 8.9 million customers. The mobile subscriber base stood at 9 million in the preceding quarter and was at 9.2 million subscribers in the third quarter.
– SSTL mentions that its HSD services now covers over 850 towns across 9 circles, up from 800 towns across 9 circles in the previous quarter and 700 towns across 9 circles in the quarter before.
– Consolidated revenues increased by 12% Y-o-Y to Rs 357.8 crore, mainly on account of data revenue growth, the company said in its statement
– MTS reported an OIBDA (Operating Income Before Depreciation and Amortization) loss of Rs 129.7 crore for Q1 2015, OIBDA loss reduced by 17% Q-o-Q
–SSTL made investments of Rs 496 million during Q1 2015. Debt from banks and financial institutions at the end of 31st March 2015 stands at INR 35.87 billion.
– MTS is looking to pivot its focus from being primarily a dongle driven data company to a WiFi solutions provider with its launch of its Homespot Instant WiFi solution. The solution comes with MTS’ MBlaze Ultra dongle which works with a plug and play mechanism and can provide high speed broadband access to five users simultaneously including smartphone users. Prepaid users need to pay Rs. 1299 to get the device with 10 GB bundled data usage while postpaid users need to pay Rs. 999.
– The company also partnered with the Indian Railways to set up Wi-Fi hotspots at Agra, Ahmedabad & Varanasi railway stations by the first quarter of 2015.