Idea Cellular has reported 33.4 million mobile data subscriptions for the quarter ended March 31, 2015, registering a blended mobile data ARPU (average revenue per user) of Rs 150, a growth of 44.23% from Rs 104 in the same quarter last year.
Note that Idea Cellular has further mobile data subscriber definition, and has eliminated from its reporting incidental data users of less than 10 Mb/month. Idea Cellular had started culling incidental data users from Q3-FY14 and it had previously defined it as users who have consumed less than 1 MB/month.
The total 3G subscription base is at 14.5 million for the quarter, and the telco added 7.4 million 3G subscriptions in the last financial year.
Idea’s net profit after tax was Rs 941.8 crore in the fourth quarter, compared with Rs 590 crore in the same period a year earlier, representing a growth of 60%year-on-year. Data as a percentage revenue stood at 16.9% at the end of Q4, up from 15.7% from the preceding quarter. Data as a percentage revenue stood at 10% in the same quarter last year.
3G Mobile Internet connections
The telco has reported a 3G data connection base of 14.5 million for the quarter, up from 12.95 million connections in the previous quarter and from 5.86 million connections in the same quarter last year. 3G data ARPU has increased to Rs 209 from Rs 197 in the previous quarter, while the 3G Internet usage grew to 777 MB from 705 MB in the previous quarter. The data on 3G Internet for Idea Cellular at the end of Q3-FY15:
– 3G Internet connections: 12.95 million, up from 10.52 million in the previous quarter.
– 3G Internet ARPU per Internet customer: Rs 209, up from Rs 197 last quarter
– 3G Internet Usage: 777 MB per connection, up from 705 MB last quarter
– 3G Internet volume: 24.98 billion MB, up from 19.79 billion MB in the previous quarter.
– 3G Sites: 30,291 sites, up from 27,744 sites in the previous quarter.
– 3G phone penetration: Over 23.1% of Idea users own high speed 3G devices.
Mobile Internet Internet
– The contribution of non-voice revenues (Internet & VAS) to Idea Cellular’s overall revenues also improved to 24.5% for the quarter, up from 23.1% in the previous quarter. The growth is primarily driven by the increase in data revenues although the non-data VAS contribution grew to 7.6% for the quarter, from 7.4 % in the previous quarter.
– Mobile Internet volume grew significantly to 46.07 billion MB, up 16.85%% from 39.4 billion MB in the previous quarter.
– The average realization per MB increased to Rs 0.269 per MB for the quarter, from Rs 0.265 per MB in the previous quarter.
– Blended Internet ARPU (2G + 3G) grew to Rs 150, from Rs 126in the previous quarter and Rs 104 in the same quarter last year. This significant growth on a YoY basis is due to the removal of incidental users.
– Blended usage per Internet subscription also grew to 586 MB for the quarter, up from 470 MB in the previous quarter and 410 MB in the same quarter last year. Quite similar to Internet ARPU, the significant YoY growth in Internet usage is due to the removal of incidental users.
In the recently concluded spectrum auctions conducted by the department of telecommunications, Idea won 79.4 MHz in nine service areas with licenses expiring in December 2015/April 2016, for the next 20 years. The company has also acquired spectrum and the ability to launch 4G services on 1800 Mhz in the service areas of Tamil Nadu, Chennai and Orissa.
In the March auctions, Idea has won 54 Mhz of efficient 900 Mhz band, 20.4 MHz in the 1800 Mhz band, and 5 Mhz in 2100 Mhz across 14 circles for a bid value of Rs 30,137.5 crore out of which it has already made upfront payment of Rs 7,734.2 crore.