According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India added 9.58 million “active” mobile connections during the month of February 2015.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 851.93 million active connection in the month of February.
– Strangely, Idea apparently has 102.06% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– RCom has the second highest active connection base of 97.66%, followed by Airtel at 95.77%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 213.68 million connections followed by Vodafone at 172.26 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For February 2015 (Total Connections):
– Airtel added 3.06 million connections, taking its connection base to 223.11 million.
– Idea added 2.56 million connections, taking its connection base to 155.45 million.
– Vodafone added 1.95 million connections, taking its connection base to 182.44 million.
– BSNL lost 2.55 million connections, taking its connection base to 77.59 million.
– In terms of active connections, Madhya Pradesh leads with 94.29% active connections, followed by Kerala, Maharashtra and West Bengal. Tamil Nadu has just 76.47% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 82.48 million connections (82,486,068 connections). Tamil Nadu is second with 80.27 million connections (80,274,443 connections) and Maharashtra is third with 76.22 million connections (76,221,968 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 23.23%, followed by Vodafone at 18.99%, Idea at 16.18%, Reliance at 11.23% and Aircel at 8.38%.
– 842M Active Mobile Connections In India in January 2015; BSNL Loses 1.23M Connections
– 833M Active Mobile Connections In India in Dec 2014
– 824M Active Mobile Connections In India in Nov 2014; RCOM Loses 4.23M
– September 2014: 812.06M Active Mobile Connections In India
– August 2014: 807.30M Active Mobile Connections In India
– July 2014: 797.08M Active Mobile Connections In India; BSNL Loses 1.39M Connections