Rockstand, which provides e-books, e-magazines & e-papers, has added a collection of CBSE preparatory material for most subjects of classes 10 & 12 to its app. It has tied up with publishers like S.Chand & Co, Jiwan Publishing House (JPH Books), Full Marks, MBD Group, TERI Press, Lakshmi Publications, HarAnand and Jagran Josh are now live on the application. Rockstand claims to have an exam preparatory content library of over 30,000 academic, test preparation and entrance examination e-books, and reference materials. Rockstand had previously tied up with Wiley for academic ebooks.
The company says that Maths, Physics, Biology, English are the most downloaded content, and maximum transactions come from Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Delhi. Content downloads peak during January to March, it says.
The mobile application is available on Android, IOS and Windows platforms, and also offers fiction and non-fiction reading across genre ranging from health to kids, travel and cooking. It claims to have 150,000 titles including over 1500 magazines live on its platform, apart from newspapers.
Note that the current e-book market in India is estimated to be less than 1% of the total book market. According to a market intelligence study by Netscribes, the country’s e-book market will grow by 20–25% in the next 2–3 years.
According to a report on futuregov.asia, the government of Kerala has plans to introduce e-textbooks for its schools. “More than 100,000 teachers and 3.7 million students are expected to use the new digital textbooks from June this year,” said A Shahjahan, Secretary of the Department of General Education (DGE), Kerala.
Other Rockstand Content Tie-ups
Over the past year or so, Rockstand had inked quite a few content partnerships to expand its content base. These include:
– A deal for 52 titles from Nirali Prakashan, 27 titles of Nachiket Prakashan and 8 titles by Diamond Publications
– An agreement with Malayala Manorama, Mathrubhumi, Green Books and DC Books last month, to bring Malayalam content to its platform.
– A tie-up with Wiley Publications India for academic e-books.
– A tie-up with Ingram Content Group for e-books in March this year.
– An agreement with publishers including M-Y Books, Network 18 Publications, Kalki Magazine, Pearl publications, Sapna book house, VJM Media Group and Sharda Prakashan in September 2013.
– A tie-up with Delhi Press, BPB Publications, Magna Publishing, Next-Gen Publishing and Hay market for more content in August 2013.
– A tie-up with Diamond Comic Books, OM Books, Rajkamal Prakashan, Katha, Times Group and Pratham in February 2013.