Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched the National Voter Service Portal (NVSP) to create a single platform for voters to access all services provided by it. Voters will be able to apply online for new voter card registrations, and also apply for corrections in existing voter cards, through this website.
List of other services being offered on NVSP:
– Search for name on the electoral list.
– Voters can view details of their Polling Booth, Assembly Constituency and Parliamentary Constituency.
– They can access contact details of the Booth Level Officer, Electoral Registration Officer and other Election Officers in their constituency.
– Users can enter their Aadhaar card number into the system, which would then be linked to their Election Photo Identity Card data.
– Voters can also links to the Chief Electoral Officer’s website for every state and union territory.
– The website also features audio visual short films about the election process, audio visual scripts about the polling process, and short educational films on using the Electronic Voting Machine.
The site has been developed by the Centre for Development of Advance Computing (C-DAC), Pune.
While the registration forms are available in both English and Hindi, all the video and audio clips available on the NVSP portal are only in English. This doesn’t serve the purpose for voters who aren’t fluent in the language and those who don’t know it at all, and that’s the majority of the voters. At the very least, these short films and instructional videos need to be made available in Hindi and a few other major regional languages for this portal to have a greater impact. That being said, services like online application for corrections in voter ID cards is very useful, which is a long drawn out process offline.