Mobile web accounted for 20% of the hotel bookings at Cleartrip, with the Android app accounting for 56% of the traffic and the iOS app accounting for 24%, the company said while sharing some data on its Q3 2014 performance.
Cleartrip has reported a 98% rise in hotel bookings and a 165% increase in searches in the third quarter of 2014 compared to the same quarter in 2013. Cleartrip did not give the increase in searches and bookings in terms of absolute terms, but said that it saw an average of 2,500 room-nights booked per day. Over a 90 day period that translates to about 2,25,000 hotel bookings.
Distribution of hotel bookings: The company added that 37% of the bookings for hotels happened on mobiles and tablets. Cleartrip also said that 74% of the bookings were made on devices using Android, 23% of the bookings on iOS and other mobile operating systems accounted for the rest 3%.
Non-chain hotels vs chain hotels: Non- chain hotels accounted for 77% of the bookings in the period and chain hotels bookings were at 23%. The top chain hotels were Carlson hospitality, ITC Hotels, Taj Hotels and Resorts, Accor Hotels, Ginger Hotels and Royal Orchid Hotels.
Top destinations: The top three international destinations were Dubai, Bangkok and Singapore and the top three emerging destinations were Jakarta, New York City and Chiang Mai.
- Back in India, Cleartrip said that the top weekend-getaway destinations by city of origin were:
– Originating city Mumbai: Goa, Mahabaleshwar and Lonavla
-Originating city Bangalore: Goa, Pondicherry, Mysore
– Originating city Delhi: Jaipur, Udaipur, Agra
– Originating city Chennai: Pondicherry, Mysore, Ooty
-Originating city Kolkata: Puri, Darjeeling, Digha
- The top domestic destinations by city of origin were:
– Originating city Mumbai: Kolhapur, Silvassa
– Originating city Delhi: Neemrana, Alwar, Chittorgarh
– Originating city Bangalore: Kolhapur, Vellore, Kumbakonam
– Originating city Chennai: Vellore, Tiruvanamalai, Coonoor
Amit Taneja, Cleartrip’s chief revenue officer observed that although Mumbai has a much higher proportion of destinations in the vicinity of the city, destinations around Delhi & Bangalore contributed to more than double the transactions, as compared to destinations around Mumbai.