According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India added 11.82 million “active” mobile connections during the month of December 2014.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 833.05 million active connection in the month of December.
– Strangely, Idea apparently has 101.09% of connections active on its network – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– RCOM has the second highest active connection base of 97.57%, followed by Airtel at 96.32%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 209.22 million connections followed by Vodafone at 169.06 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For December 2014 (Total Connections):
– Idea added 2.58 million connections, taking its connection base to 150.53 million.
– Airtel added 1.75 million connections, taking its connection base to 217.21 million.
– Vodafone added 1.48 million connections, taking its connection base to 178.67 million.
– Uninor added 1.20 million connections, taking its connection base to 43.63 million.
– BSNL lost 1.30 million connections, taking its connection base to 81.38 million.
– In terms of active connections, Kerala leads with 93.94% active connections, followed by Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal. Tamil Nadu has just 75.50% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 80.13 million connections (80,137,888 connections). Tamil Nadu is second with 79.75 million connections (79,759,517 connections) and Maharashtra is third with 74.86 million connections (74,866,776 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 23.01%, followed by Vodafone at 18.93%, Idea at 15.95%, Reliance at 11.26% and BSNL at 8.62%.
– 824M Active Mobile Connections In India in Nov 2014; RCOM Loses 4.23M
– September 2014: 812.06M Active Mobile Connections In India
– August 2014: 807.30M Active Mobile Connections In India
– July 2014: 797.08M Active Mobile Connections In India; BSNL Loses 1.39M Connections