According to the Indian telecom regulator TRAI, India added 3.18 million “active” mobile connections during the month of November 2014. Airtel, Idea and Vodafone together account for 63.5% of the active connections. With RCOM, the top four telcos account for 76% of the active connections.
The Active connection data represents peak VLR (Visitor Location Register) data for the month. Some stats:
– There were 824.42 million active connection in the month of November.
– Strangely, Idea apparently has 100.89% of its connections active – the highest among all telcos. TRAI says the percentage of active connections is more than 100% due to in-roamers i.e. subscribers from other operators roaming in Idea’s network.
– RCOM has the second highest active connection base of 97.37%, followed by Airtel at 96.07%.
In terms of the number of active connections, Airtel leads with 206.99 million connections followed by Vodafone at 167.71 million connections.
Mobile Operator Leaderboard For November 2014 (Total Connections):
– Idea added 2.54 million connections, taking its connection base to 147.95 million.
– Vodafone added 2.32 million connections, taking its connection base to 177.18 million.
– Airtel added 2.04 million connections, taking its connection base to 215.45 million.
– RCOM lost 4.23 million connections, taking its connection base to 106.13 million.
– BSNL lost 2.31 million connections, taking its connection base to 82.69 million.
– In terms of active connections, Maharashtra leads with 93.51% active connections, followed by Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Rajasthan. Tamil Nadu has just 75.26% active connections, the lowest among all circles.
– UP (East) has the most number of connections, with 79.45 million connections (79,453,098 connections). Tamil Nadu is second with 79.12 million connections (79,125,234 connections) and Maharashtra is third with 73.76 million connections (73,764,356 connections).
– Bharti Airtel holds the maximum percentage market share of wireless connections at 22.99%, followed by Vodafone at 18.91%, Idea at 15.79%, Reliance at 11.33% and BSNL at 8.82%.
– September 2014: 812.06M Active Mobile Connections In India
– August 2014: 807.30M Active Mobile Connections In India
– July 2014: 797.08M Active Mobile Connections In India; BSNL Loses 1.39M Connections