wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Idea subscribers can now buy apps from Windows Store via carrier billing

Microsoft has enabled carrier billing on Windows Store in India with Idea Cellular, allowing Idea subscribers buy Windows phone apps through this payment option.

This rollout has been in the works for quite some time now. Vineet Durani, Director- Windows Phone Business Group had told in May that they will be launching operator billing for Windows Store in a few months. Durani had earlier told Medianama that the company was in talks to introduce operator billing in India, since a very small fraction of Windows Phone users have added a credit card to their account.

With this launch, the company now claims to be the first smartphone platform to enable carrier billing for app purchases in the country. Note that Nokia Store (now owned by Microsoft) had rolled out carrier billing for telcos like Airtel & Vodafone in May 2012 and Reliance Communications in February 2011. Last month, Microsoft however said that it will be shutting down Nokia Store in the first half of 2015, and migrating users to Opera Store.

Windows phone

Developers to receive 70% of revenues

From the looks of it, Microsoft has managed to continue offering 70% of revenues to app developers. We’ve written to Microsoft for a confirmation and will update once we hear back.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Durani had earlier mentioned that one of the major issues with carrier billing was the revenue share demanded by the telcos. He wanted the revenue split to be done in such a way that the developers will not be affected at all. They had proposed that the telcos give 70% to the developers and take their cut from the remaining 30%, a significant jump from third party operator billing providers like Fortumo* that provides payouts of up to 50% to merchants.

If Microsoft has indeed managed to offer 70% of revenues to developers, we are curious on how this would impact the business of players like Fortumo, Boku and Neomobile in the country.

What about Google & Apple?

Hopefully, this rollout also paves the way for Google and Apple to roll out operator billing on their respective app stores. Google has apparently been in talks with Airtel for operator billing for couple of years now and had even tied-up with Reliance Communications, way back in 2012 and Uninor in 2011 for operator billing but nothing has materialized until now.

Operator billing is critical in an emerging market like India, since the credit card penetration is still quite low in the country and consumers don’t have that many payment options to purchase apps or services. (Also readWhy India’s Carrier Billing Platform Market Is Heating Up).

Related readOn making Carrier Billing independent of Carriers in India

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

*Disclosure: Fortumo is an advertiser with Medianama

Written By

MediaNama’s mission is to help build a digital ecosystem which is open, fair, global and competitive.

Views

News

The DSCI's guidelines are patient-centric and act as a data privacy roadmap for healthcare service providers.

News

In this excerpt from the book, the authors focus on personal data and autocracies. One in particular – Russia.  Autocracies always prioritize information control...

News

By Jai Vipra, Senior Resident Fellow at Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy The use of new technology, including facial recognition technology (FRT) by police...

News

By Stella Joseph, Prakhil Mishra, and Yash Desai The Government of India circulated proposed amendments to the Consumer Protection (E-Commerce) Rules, 2020 (“E-Commerce Rules”) which...

News

By Rahul Rai and Shruti Aji Murali A little less than a year since their release, the Consumer Protection (E-commerce) Rules, 2020 is being amended....

You May Also Like

News

Rajesh Kumar* doesn’t have many enemies in life. But, Uber, for which he drives a cab everyday, is starting to look like one, he...

News

By Aroon Deep and Aditya Chunduru You’re reading it here first: Twitter has complied with government requests to censor 52 tweets that mostly criticised...

Advert

135 job openings in over 60 companies are listed at our free Digital and Mobile Job Board: If you’re looking for a job, or...

News

Google has released a Google Travel Trends Report which states that branded budget hotel search queries grew 179% year over year (YOY) in India, in...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Name:*
Your email address:*
*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

© 2008-2021 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ