Microsoft co-founder and former CEO Bill Gates has invested an undisclosed amount in social enterprises-focused impact investment fund Unitus Seed Fund‘s affiliated offshore fund. Sun Microsystems co-founder Vinod Khosla and a group of US-based entrepreneurs also participated.
Unitus Seed Fund’s Indian fund has also raised over $4 million from 16 high net income Indian investors, including former CEO of Pearson India Srikanth Iyer, Phenix Consulting’s Sharvil Parikh, Astarc Group’s Kishore Musale, Kottackal Business Solutions’ Jacob Ninan, and Raman FibreScience’s Aroon Raman among others.
Unitus invests in India through SEBI-registered venture capital fund Unitus Seed Fund India and Unitus Seed Fund LP, its offshore venture capital fund which has 50 investors and $17 million of assets under management.
Investments by Unitus
– Bangalore-based online marketplace for last mile logistics Blowhorn. Blowhorn offers users looking for goods moving service a platform to connect with owners of mini trucks.
– Mobile commerce platform Jiffstore. Jiffstore offers m-commerce solutions to kirana stores, allowing customers to place grocery orders from these stores on Jiffstore’s iOS and Android mobile apps or their website.
– Bangalore-based auto hailing service mGaadi. Consumers can use mGaadi’s service to book an auto ride over an app or a telephone call for a near-immediate pick-up or to schedule a pickup. mGaadi auto drivers are then connected to riders based on their location and availability. The service is currently available only in Bangalore.
– Online healthcare marketplace Medypal. Medypal allows consumers to quickly get quotes for medical procedures from different health service providers.
– Social marketplace for co-operatives and community-based enterprises GoCoop. GoCoop allows co-operatives and community enterprises to list and sell their products online. It currently offers a directory service to search and find co-operatives, a microsite service with trade enquiries, and an e-commerce service with both branded e-stores and a marketplace.
– Fundraising social platform Milaap. Milaap is a social platform that connects borrowers in different parts of the country with people interested in funding them from across the globe.
Here’s a list of Unitus Seed Fund’s other portfolio companies.