Amazon India has signed an exclusive tie-up with Aditya Birla owned fabric and ready-mades brand Grasim to retail Grasim’s readymade shirts and special suiting/shirting gift packs on its marketplace.
This is the latest initiative by Amazon to strengthen its fashion offerings against competitor Flipkart that had acquired Myntra in May this year. With the acquisition, Flipkart had claimed (and still claims) to be the market leader in the fashion category, which is currently one of the fastest growing verticals for e-commerce sites.
Future Group alliance: While Amazon India entered the fashion category quite late, it now seems to be ramping up its offerings via exclusive tie-ups with prominent offline & online brands. Last month, it signed a strategic alliance with Future Group to sell products from the latter’s portfolio of 40 fashion brands including Lee Cooper, Converse, Indigo Nation, Scullers and Jealous 21 among others last month.
The alliance also includes exploring co-branding opportunities, improving product development in categories that is currently not served by Future Group and promoting existing and new brands in the market.
Last week, Amazon also partnered Label Corp that operates several celebrity endorsed private labels. As part of the deal, Amazon will be offering apparel like dresses, tops and bottoms from Malaika Arora Khan’s The Closet Label and fashion products like bags, jewelry and shoes from Bipasha Basu’s The Trunk Label.
There have also been talks of Amazon looking to acquire Rocket Internet-backed Jabong, although we feel this is unlikely considering that Jabong was recently merged into a roll-up of emerging markets focused fashion e-commerce brands called Global Fashion Group (GFG) and Rocket Internet just completed an IPO in order to provide further investment to its existing network of companies.
Amazon India’s fashion foray so far
- September 2013: Launched a fashion jewelry & watches store in September last year. The store claims to offer more than 27,500 products from more than 180 brands at launch.
- April 2014: Launched a women’s ethnic wear store in April this year. At launch, the store claims to offer more than 12,000 styles in sarees, salwar suits & kurtas across 90 brands.
- May 2014: Launched an Intimate apparel store for women. At launch, it claims to offer more than 1,100 styles of innerwear and nightwear from over 35 Indian and international brands.
- June 2014: Expanded its fashion portfolio by launching Menswear. At launch, the store claims to offer more than 1,500 styles in men’s denim wear from brands like Levis, Pepe Jeans London, Lee, Wrangler, Jack & Jones, Lee Cooper and Newport among others and more than 1,300 styles in men’s innerwear from brands like Diesel, Hanes, French Connection, Eminence, Crusoe, Chromozome and VIP among others.
- October 2014: Signed a strategic alliance with Future Group to sell products from Future Group’s portfolio of 40 fashion brands. The company Through this, the company claims to offer more than 10,000 unique styles to consumers.
- November 2014: Inked a tie-up with The Label Corp to offer products from Malaika Arora Khan’s The Closet Label and Bipasha Basu’s The Trunk Label.
- November 2014: Signed a partnership to offer Grasim’s readymade shirts and special suiting/shirting gift packs.