MTV India has launched another web series – The Look, in partnership with Philips. The show will be hosted by VJ Gaelyn and feature Alia Bhatt, the brand ambassador for Philips, as a part of the regular episodes.
The show seems to cover fashion and lifestyle genres. The first episode involved getting your hair ready for a night of clubbing. MTV did not say how often it will update the channel with new episodes and as of now only the first episode has been uploaded. The show will be viewable via YouTube; the first episode can be viewed here and a promo of the show can be viewed here.
MTV head of digital Ekalavya Bhattacharya had spoken to Medianama last year about how the channel’s digital strategy is shaping its content strategy since it now caters to teenagers who are not bound by a TV and instead prefer to consume content across multiple devices. The channel has since launched a variety of exclusive digital content online, including short videos for the 6 second video platform Vine in August last year, which featured VJ Jose Covaco guiding users on how not to pick up women, and a web series in association with McDowell’s No. 1 soda called Saturday Night, Alright! in November 2013, in which the protagonists got together on weekends to discuss love, friendship, politics, bosses etc. over drinks.
Last month, MTV launched a web series called Get Fit, with national Muay Thai champion Bala Shetty and VJ Bani J providing fitness and healthy living tips. The channel also runs a digital travel show, Drive with MTV in association with Tata Nano, which is currently into its third season.
Other online-only content channels
– One Digital Entertainment Pvt Ltd had announced its food and travel series with Chef Saransh Goila “The Spice Traveller”, in association with Virgin Atlantic Airways and VisitBritain, earlier this month. The 20- episode series is set to launch on the 22nd September and will air every Monday and Friday.
– A TO THE NEW Ventures group company, FameBox Network, had launched a YouTube channel on running and fitness called ‘India Running with Milind Soman’ and had published its first video on the 4th of August.
– The iStream team recently launched Pepper Media, an online video network currently focused on YouTube content.
– Ping Digital had launched a YouTube news channel called the Boom News TV during the course of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. The company currently claims to run 104 live channels and have over 74 million views. It had also launched music and food focused YouTube channels in January last year.
– Graphic storytelling company Graphic India had started an animated web-series called 18 Days, a reinvention of Mahabharata by Grant Morrison, the comic creator and writer of Batman, in August last year. It had also released an original digital comic series and comic magazine called Krrish: Menace of the Monkey Men, in September the same year.