wordpress blog stats
Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Android accounted for 60% of total mobile ad revenues in India in Q2 2014 for Opera Mediaworks

Mobile advertisement impression volume has grown 260% from July 2013 in India, according to the State of Mobile Advertising report released by Opera Mediaworks. The report is based on aggregated information obtained from the Opera Mobile Ad Platform and Opera Mobile Ad Exchange servers, and hence not a census of the overall mobile advertising market, but can be indicative.

The report says that this growth has been fueled by a country-wide shift from feature phones to smart devices, with the Android platform leading the way.

The report also claims that currently Android holds a 41.7% market share in India, while Symbian and iOS have 2.7% and 0.4% market shares respectively.

SMAQ214

SMAQ214 Android vs Feature Phones

Ad impressions vs. Revenue generated

Android also served the most number of ad impressions and generated maximum revenue among the various mobile platforms, though in terms of number of unique devices present in India Android was behind feature phones. Android accounted for over 80% of total ad impressions and generated 60% of total revenues. Though iOS accounted for just 0.5% of total ad impressions, it generated 2% of total revenues.

SMAQ214 Revenue

Banner ads vs Rich-media creative

Banner ads and other simpler forms of ads dominate the Indian market, with a 96.8% share, while rich-media creative account for a paltry 3.2% mobile ads. However, rich-media accounts for over 26% of the total revenue, while banner ads account for the remaining 74%.

SMAQ214 Banner ads vs Rich-media creative

Content preference

Indian Android users prefer Arts and Entertainment content over News and Information, which opposite of what audiences prefer globally. Arts and Entertainment & News and Information publishers managed by Opera Mediaworks account for over 30% of the total ad revenue globally, while in India it accounts for just 4%.

SMAQ214 Android users

Type of ads: Most mobile ads are for selling games (25.5%) and mobile devices (22.7%). These are closely followed by classifieds, which account for 1 in 5 ad impressions.

SMAQ214 Ad types

Frequency of use: 49.5% of unique users access mobile web 1-2 days per week and are classified as ‘occasional’ users. 28.9% are ‘regular’ users and access mobile web 3-5 days a week. The remaining 21.6 % are ‘high-frequency’ users accessing mobile web up to 7 days a week, and this group is also served over 60% of all mobile ad impressions.

SMAQ214 Frequency of use

Mobile audience in India: Indian mobile audiences are predominantly male, accounting for 82% of total users. The 18-24 age group accounts for over 60% of all users.

SMAQ214 Mobile audience in India

Top mobile sites: In both the global and Indian markets social media sites and apps. However, in case of mobile app stores with a significant mobile games catalogue India is well ahead of the global market. Also, gaming and education-focused sites figure higher up the order in India, in comparison to global markets. On the other hand interest in music and other media streaming sites in well below the global average. This is understandable because, firstly a number of these sites are not yet available in India and secondly the mobile internet speeds are also not on par with global standards.

SMAQ214 Top mobile sites

Opera Mediaworks in the advertising arm of Norwegian browser company Opera. It provides advertising, content distribution and monetization services to the mobile marketplaces. It focuses on four service areas namely Ad-mediation, ad-exchange and real-time bidding (RTB) through its AdMarvel and Opera Mediaworks Ad Exchange; Mobile Ad agency and networks through Mobile Theory and 4th Screen Advertising, Opera Mobile Store and Opera Payment Exchange.

You May Also Like

News

The Delhi High Court on Monday refused to stop Amazon from pushing regulators to stop the sale of the Future Group’s businesses to Reliance...

News

Pine Labs has raised around $100 million in fresh funds from Lone Pine Capital, a hedge fund based in the United States, at a...

News

Restaurant aggregator and food delivery company Zomato has raised US$660 million (over ₹4,850 crore), taking its valuation to ₹3.9 billion. CEO Deepinder Goyal tweeted...

Uncategorized

Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari said on December 17 that GPS-based tolling will replace toll plazas in two years, The Hindu...

MediaNama is the premier source of information and analysis on Technology Policy in India. More about MediaNama, and contact information, here.

© 2008-2018 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ

Subscribe to Daily Newsletter

    © 2008-2018 Mixed Bag Media Pvt. Ltd. Developed By PixelVJ